How to use Monitor as TV... if possible

MathsParMathsPar New
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Getting an Xbox 360 soon but in September I'm moving back on campus at University where the rooms are very small so I don't want to have things I don't need. Which is why I would like to use my current monitor for my PC and for my Xbox 360. Also by not having a TV I wouldn't have to pay a TV license fee.

I know you can use TVs as outputs for the PC but haven't seen a monitor used as a screen for a games console so not 100% sure if this is even possible. The only problem I can see is that the connection from my monitor to my PC looks unique and it doesn't have your typical AV connections.

So are there adapters out there that I could use to plug the 360 connections into?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    What type of connections do you have on the back of your monitor?

Just VGA? DVI? Composite?
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited July 2007
    Just XGA (I think that's what it is), basically I just googled the registration code and found someone selling identical one on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-Advent-ADV15T-TFT-Monitor-Boxed-in-Original-Package_W0QQitemZ160125849644QQihZ006QQcategoryZ174QQcmdZViewItem

So that guy has most of the details.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    if you just want to use the xbox 360, you can get a cable like this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited July 2007
    Ugh, just checked the back of my monitor and the only available connection is for audio, ADVENT have connected the XGA cable permanently to the monitor. Is there a way I could feed the Xbox 360 connection through my PC and out to the monitor?

Or any way to attach something to the end of the monitor cable? I know this is all a bit of a stretch but would be great if I could get something to work.

Good link though shwaip that was the kind of idea I had in mind before I realised the cable is permanently stuck.
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited July 2007
    I think since the cable is permanently connected that I should give up on this idea with this monitor. So I think I'll ebay the monitor or sell it some other way.

Any recommendations on a half decent monitor with better connections at the back without being too pricey?

EDIT: No need, just been speaking to my friend who's a bit of an Xbox 360 know-it-all and he assured me that the cable linked above can still be connected to the end of the monitors cable with a female-female connector. :)

Thanks for the link!
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    There are a ton of good 17" and 19" LCDs out there.
    The thing that I don't know is if you find one with two inputs (DVI from your computer and adapter cable to the sub-D from the Xbox) can you switch between them?