Looking for a new router

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited July 2007 in Science & Tech
Hey guys,

My current Belkin router (F5D7630) has gone, no longer working and so I'm looking for a new router.

I've read many posts about the Linksys WRT54GS - would this be a good choice?

Also, the Belkin had a built-in modem. Would I need a router that has this feature or not?

Any advice/input is appreciated. :)

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited July 2007
    1. Firewalls with modems are really more for commercial applications. If the broadband fails, the modem automatically dials up for a "failover" connection. I doubt you need that kind of redunancy.
    2. The 'S' at the end of the WRT54GS is the Speed Booster model. Tests I've read say it isn't nearly the speed boost they advertise, and even then it only works when you have a Linksys Speed Booster adapter in the client computer. And....if your main purpose for wireless is to share a 5 Meg Internet connection, 54 Megs is an awful lot.
    3. The WRT54G is plenty good for most people. If you're going to get ambitious and do some serious tweaking or put your own firmware in, the WRT54GL is the Linux based one that gives you a few more third party options.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The WRT54G/GS is a pale shade of its former self. You'd have to pay out the nose on eBay (Or similar) to get a version of the router with the proper hardware to load third-party firmware on.

The WRT54GL is where it's at now, really.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Would you be interested in Smoothwall?

I use it, and I just picked up an inexpensive older PC off eBay and installed from the ISO. You just need two NICs in the PC, and a switch. The thing works wonderfully, and it has quite a few options available.

Where I've locked up typical consumer routers with too many connections, this thing continues to go strong. The only time I've had to shut it down is when the actual hardware failed. Other than that, perfect.

The web interface is pretty easy to use as well. If an update is released for it, it let's you know when you login, and you can apply the update right there. It doesn't even typically require a reboot.

Just throwin' it out there. It requires a few more minutes of initial preparation, but, in my opinion, it's worth it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    The WRT54GL is the best choice.

The following routers kick ass and all run or can run linux based firmware. (Such as DD-WRT)

I also included some specs on them, (Some of the higher end buffalo's also have 2 wifi cards so you can host 2 access points at the same time)
    Asus
    WL-500G deluxe (200 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM, 8MB flash)
    WL-500G premium (266MHz CPU, 32MB RAM, 8MB flash)
    WL-300G (125MHz CPU, 16MB RAM, 4MB flash)

Buffalo
    WHR-HP-AG108 (220MHz, 32MB RAM,4MB flash) 
    WHR-G54S (200MHz,16MB RAM, 4MB flash)
    WHR-HP-G54 (200MHz,16MB RAM, 4MB flash)
    WHR-HP-G54S (200 MHz, 16 MB RAM, 4 MB flash)
    WZR-RS-G54 (264Mhz, 64MB ram, 8MB flash)
    WVR-G54-NF (Unknown Specs)
    WBR-G54 (125mhz, 16MB RAM, 4MB flash)
    WBR2-G54 (Unknown specs)
    WBR2-G54s (200MHz 16MB RAM, 4MB flash)
    WLA-G54 (125mhz, 16MB RAM, 4MB flash)

Almost all of buffalo's hardware is built better then linksys's (But a few older discontinued models had poor emi shielding) (Some of the discontinued models also had poorly preforming broadcom switches they also didn't support Vlan's *All of the newer ones should support vlans and have great switches*.)

Linksys
    WRT54G v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.2, v3.0, v3.1, v4.0 (Cpu ranges from 125MHZ to  216, Ram is 16MB, Flash is 4MB)
    WRT54GL v1.0, v1.1 (200MHZ cpu, 16MB of ram, 4MB of flash)
    WRT54GS v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.1, v3.0,  (200-216MHZ cpu, 32MB ram,8MB flash)
    WRT54GS v4.0 (200MHZ cpu, 16MB of ram, 4MB of flash)
    WRTSL54GS v1.0 (264mhz, 32MB 8meg flash)

Any WRT54G before the V2.2 has a very poor Switch and CPU and preforms poorly for lan to lan transfers and lan to wan transfers but if perfectly fine for just internet surfing. Also Versions before V2.2 didn't support Vlan's

If you plan to use bit torrent get one with at least a 200MHZ cpu, 16MB of ram and 4MB of flash.

edit: Also the stock firmware on all but the linksys's is pretty decent ... But DD-WRT is better.
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Would you be interested in Smoothwall?

I use it, and I just picked up an inexpensive older PC off eBay and installed from the ISO. You just need two NICs in the PC, and a switch. The thing works wonderfully, and it has quite a few options available.

Where I've locked up typical consumer routers with too many connections, this thing continues to go strong. The only time I've had to shut it down is when the actual hardware failed. Other than that, perfect.

The web interface is pretty easy to use as well. If an update is released for it, it let's you know when you login, and you can apply the update right there. It doesn't even typically require a reboot.

Just throwin' it out there. It requires a few more minutes of initial preparation, but, in my opinion, it's worth it.

Ip cop is better (More features), I run it my self its great and the only thing able to take my abuse (All of my machines have there max connections cranked to 4096) But I plan on moving to a more powerful Real firewall soon (shorewall its iptables made easy..er) once my network is in less of a state of change.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    More features doesn't always translate to better. ;)

I don't use a lot of the features that Smoothwall offers, but it was easy to setup, and it's easy to administer. I'm unfamiliar with IPcop, so I cannot compare. However, I was providing another option for Trogan. :)
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2007
    Appreciate everyone's advice so far.

Cyclonite: I won't be needing Smoothwall at this time, but thanks for pointing it out. :)

The WRT54GL sounds like the perfect replacement, and is inexpensive too.

Two questions:
    1. The WRT54GL router does not have a built-in modem, whereas the Belkin did. Is that a problem?
    2. One of the laptops I have here has a Belkin Wireless Network Card. If I purchase the WRT54GL router, would it be advisable to get a Wiress Linksys Card?
    Thanks again! :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Trogan wrote:
    Appreciate everyone's advice so far.

Cyclonite: I won't be needing Smoothwall at this time, but thanks for pointing it out. :)

The WRT54GL sounds like the perfect replacement, and is inexpensive too.

Two questions:
    1. The WRT54GL router does not have a built-in modem, whereas the Belkin did. Is that a problem?
    2. One of the laptops I have here, has a Belkin Wireless Network Card. If I purchase the WRT54GL router, would it be advisable to get a Wiress Linksys Card?
    Thanks again! :)

1) Only if you don't have a modem, such as the modem your ISP gave you.
    2) No.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2007
    Thanks RWB, and everyone else.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    More features doesn't always translate to better. ;)

I don't use a lot of the features that Smoothwall offers, but it was easy to setup, and it's easy to administer. I'm unfamiliar with IPcop, so I cannot compare. However, I was providing another option for Trogan. :)

Ip cop is based off smoothwall.

It basicly bridges the gap between smoothwall free and there corperate version.

edit: Btw I gave a brief comparison of routers with almost identical hardware (compatible cpu's, same bootloader, same os) All of the newer ones all feature the same switch (Linksys,Asus Buffalo).