Explorer.exe File from System32 corrupted, but do not have Windows XP CD. Help Please

edited July 2007 in Hardware
As the title suggests, I have a virus in the explorer.exe file. When I boot up, there are no icons on the desk top, and no taskbar on the bottom.
<O:p></O:p>
Currently I'm running programs from the task manager (cntr + alt + delete)- "new task (run) ..."<O:p></O:p>
I don't have a Windows XP CD, so am not able to just pop in the cd and type "sfc/scannow" in "run"<O:p></O:p>
- furthermore, I've tried the following things with no avail:<O:p></O:p>
in run: "msconfig" - in the "boot.ini" tab, check "/safeboot" (it just blacks out, and I still need to use task manager.<O:p></O:p>
in run: "c:\rstrui.exe" (gives me error, says it doesn't exist)<O:p></O:p>
in run: "c:\windows\options\install (gives me error, says it doesn't exist)<O:p></O:p>
in run: "c:\windows\options\cabs (gives me error, says it doesn't exist)<O:p></O:p>
... I'm completely at a loss on what to try. If anyone can give some advise, it'd be most appreciated!<O:p></O:p>

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Without a Windows CD, there's no way you can repair this issue. I hate to make it so black and white, but that is the case.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Heh. Smilies.
  • edited July 2007
    There any way of editing, or cleaning the explorer file? - I tried a virus scan, it couldn't. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm sure it's a Trojan that's infected the file; perhaps a way to manually edit the file itself? <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    ...<o:p></o:p>