Random discolored Pixels on desktop, rapidly growing!!

edited July 2007 in Hardware
On my main desktop there are random pixels that are red or green, and they are multiplying!! It's not my monitor, the pixels aren't there upon boot up, only on the the log in screen, or desktop/internet, are they noticeable.

Please help, I don't want my video card to fry!

Sieg.

P.S. - I have a Nvidia 7900 GT/O issued by EVGA, I have the Nvidia Forceware 32bit - 162.15 WHQL - 68.0MB - drivers from, http://www.nvrev.com/drivers.html - the Nvidia Forceware 32bit - 94.24 WHQL - 32.5MB, caused a BSOD randomly, while I was playing WoW.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    First thing: Try to take a screen shot of the problem, and show it to us. That will help us determine where the problem might be.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Make sure the HSF is seated well on the GPU. I had an XFX card that had little rubber feet that kept the HSF from making proper contact with the core, so it would overheat and artifact.
  • edited July 2007
    Sorry, hardware noob... How do I take a SS of my desktop? Just the Prt Scr button? Or Ctrl Print, orrr what? And where does it go? Secondly, HSF? What is that?

Thanks,

Sieg
    edited July 2007
    Cyclonite's suggestion is a good one, but it will require you to mess about in your case, so lets make sure that's where the problem is first :)

You can take a screen shot in XP by just pressing the prtscr button. This will place an image of the current screen to the clipboard, you can then paste it into Paint or any other graphics application, save it, and upload it here.
  • edited July 2007
    Thanks,

SS here
    (Done)
    ssdesktopho5.th.jpg
  • edited July 2007
    So what's an HSF?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Heat sink and fan
  • edited July 2007
    So how would one go about fixing this? Would this cause said pixelation?
    edited July 2007
    I don't see the discolored pixels in your SS, which means the issue is occurring after the signal reaches the monitor, rather than at the graphics card. Try a different monitor, and see if it helps.
  • edited July 2007
    Humm, well, I jacked around with the connector cable a bit, and the pixelation got a little better, is it possible that its just the cabling, cause the pixels move, randomly, sometimes its more pronounced, others it s a few here or there...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    At this point:

It's the cable or the monitor. Swap which ever is easiest for you, and if the problem persists, the part you did not change is the part that's bad.
  • edited July 2007
    Ok, makes sense, turns out it was the monitor, called samsung, it was out of immediate 90 day warranty, so they are sending me a refurb, glad they have a good return policy, some companies would tell me I'm S.O.L. with this 2 yr old monitor. lol.

Thanks guys.
    -Siegfried
    edited July 2007
    Glad you got it figured out, and even managed a solution that didn't cost you a lot.

I hope you'll stick around Icrontic, now that you're here. It's a great community. :)
  • edited July 2007
    I have a question for some of the people who responded to this. I'm having the same problems as Sieg was but I tried it with another monitor and cable and it didnt help. It started out as just a couple pixels but has been multiplying quickly. I have the same video card as the previous guy as well, 7900 gt.

Things I've tried so far: different monitor, re-seating the video card, testing my RAM, new drivers
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Analog or DVI connection? If you aren't using try the DVI.

Does it matter what you are doing on the machine? Is your video card cooling fan running? Have you blown the dust out of your case and heat sink recently? Start there.