Bad Memory sticks....I think

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I was told to come here from the spyware and virus thread. The last thing I did before they told me to come here was run EVEREST to see how my memory was doing.

It says I have 610 MB of free memory, but my computer is almost always running at 100% and very sluggish. No virus, spyware or anything, but always very slow. I have 1 GB of RAM. Im always getting these message saying that I dont have enough memory, or a blue screen pops up saying that its "Dumping my memory cache". My brother told me that was because I tried to run to many things and my computer couldn't handle it.

Any suggestions on how I can get my computer running back to normal again?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    What kind of programs are you running? You might have a memory leak or something might happen if you are running 2839482903 memory intensive programs.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    First things first:

test your memory
  • edited July 2007
    Good move prime. I totally forgot about having him try memtest
  • edited July 2007
    OK seriously that thing took 14 hours and still didn't get finished. I just turned it off I was tired of waiting. It Ran 14 tests and I passed them all. No errors or anything. Uhm I do have a picture of my processes That I just took and I dont know what half of them are. Maybe one of you can tell me and maybe its the reason for the leak in RAM usage.

Processes.jpg?t=1185381772

If not then oh well. My computer is almost always at 100% usage in the performance section. I Don't know what the deal is.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    The test runs indefinitely. If it said "Passes: 1" or better, your RAM is good.

Go into the control panel and open the "Automatic updates" icon. Set automatic updates to "Disabled" and reboot the machine, for me.

//edit: I also strongly suggest you remove Norton and install AVG. It's just as good and uses VASTLY less resources.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    EDIT: Dang nab it Thrax !!!!!
    edited July 2007
    ;D
  • edited July 2007
    wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Microsoft Windows.

wmiprvse.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and deals with WMI operations through the WinMgmt.exe process.

alg.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is a core process for Microsoft Windows Internet Connection sharing and Internet connection firewall.

brmfrsmg.exe is a process which is used by the Brother Print Processor (the Brother Print processor is an integral part of most Brother printer drivers).

kpf4gui.exe is a process belonging to Kerio Personal Firewall

nmbgmonitor.exe is a process belonging to Nero Home

jusched.exe is a process installed alongside Sun Microsystem's Java suite and checks for Java updates

wdfmgr.exe is part of Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 and above. This process decreases compatibility problems whilst the product is in use.

kpf4ss.exe is a process belonging to Kerio Personal Firewall

savscan.exe is a process associated with the Norton AntiVirus from Symantec and provides real-time protection from Internet bourne threats

lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

services.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services.

winlogon.exe is a process belonging to the Windows login manager.

csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem.

smss.exe is a process which is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System.

navapsvc.exe is a part of the Norton AntiVirus application.

ccsetmgr.exe is a process associated with the Symantec Internet Security Suite

I would leave all of them except nmbgmonitor.exe and jusched.exe.
  • edited July 2007
    Ok I dont know how to turn off automatic Updates. If I go to Control Panel I dont have the option to go to Automatic Updates....Maybe im just dumb.

I got rid of Nortons and already had AVG installed. Uhm yea anything else I can do?
  • edited July 2007
    In Windows XP, go to the Security Center and click on Automatic Updates and then check "Turn off Automatic Updates"

Also I would disable the Java Updater
    edited July 2007
    Or go to START -> RUN -> SERVICES.MSC

And go to the "Automatic updates" service. Right click on it and hit properties. Switch the service to "Disabled" from the drop-down box, then hit stop.
  • edited July 2007
    ok turned off. Anything else?
    edited July 2007
    See how your PC responds now. It should be a little quicker. :)
  • edited July 2007
    Fine Thrax shows you the smart way. :-P