locals and drivers - the food issue

mondimondi Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Community
in preparation ...

I have volunteered to coordinate the big food type event ...i seem to remember (without checking a multitude of posts) ... that there were a couple of people willing to bring grills with them .... if so, who are you ... and what can you provide ... i have a tentative menu for saturday night planned but i wont make any final descisions till i know...

for the number of people coming we need 3-4 grills total .. to have an abso****inglutely exquisite meal ... reply or PM if youre willing to help

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Count me in for one grill
  • edited November 2003
    Mondi:

If for these menu items you will need things brought by individuals (such as meat, etc) I could get a nice deal from the store I work at.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    cool. as soon as we have the requisite no. of grills available (1 already - yay prime !!!!) ... ill let you know ...
  • edited November 2003
    I'd bring mine, but it's not really mine...

It's also kinda stuck to the ground.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Yay! Najs with BBQ. However, i won´t bring a grill for obvioius reasons. Wonder what the flightcrew would say if i entered the 747 with a grill under my arm. That would be a classic Mr. Bean
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Mmmmm, Mr. Bean....

I have a grill that could be brought (Propane), and a smaller electric one also if needed.
  • edited November 2003
    Ohh, I forgot about that.

I have an electric too. Sorta small though.

This is being stickied, btw.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    George Foreman grill ok? ;)
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited November 2003
    At least the GF grills could be used indoors, won't it be frickin cold outside?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Yeah..And?
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited November 2003
    Somehow a BBQ when your wrapped up in a few layers doesn't seem like so much fun.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    There's always Tony Roma's :D
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    ok, the situation so far:

grills:

Prime 1
    Pseudo 1 + 1 small electric
    TheSMJ 1 small electric
    McBain GF

this is enough heat

electric or gas is no problem ... but where they can be used is definitely an issue.

I think the big question is to prime here .... if were doing this outside, will we have power? ... if not will we be able to cook inside .. this can get hairy :)

also ... because of the replys to the food thread ive decided to cut out seafood from the 'official' menu, if anyone wants to get theyre own stuff thats fine, although they will have to wait until after the rest is cooked.

the tentative menu as pre-approved by the organizers:
    non veg:

grilled marinated steak, with crushed capsicum, chopped red pepper. grilled onions, and a spinach/feta cheese melange

veggie:

staying away from fish ... although with enough grills i could do a separate fish dish:

Stir fried tofu with a and a cilantro/mango based glaze, fried lemon sections, and a garlic and mushroom sauce.

for all - basmati rice with herbs/good old baked potato with sour cream

so, a cross between good old fashioned bbq. and gourmet style dinner, without breaking the bank ... always good

heres where it gets complicated:

im gonna start a new thread with a poll ... please everybody post their preference .. veg/meat eater ... the meat side is red meat, all fish/chicken veggies please vote veg.

if you really want a fish dish, please please PM me ...

enough fishy people and ill work in a fish dish.

sooooooooooo ...

hopefully some of that makes sense ...

:)
    edited November 2003
    Well we can get power to the outside with extension cords through the mail slot in the door -- shouldn't be a problem.

Grilling in the snow is fun as hell, this should be a great experience for the southerners and the tropical visitors..... ;)

I highly discommend (new word I just coined) the indoor cooking idea. I can't imagine how it could work.
  • edited November 2003
    I agree with the indoor cooking thing. It does get rather messy.

We could try those disposible charcoal grills. They're supposed to work great.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    Grilling in the snow is fun as hell, this should be a great experience for the southerners and the tropical visitors..... ;)
    :ninja:
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Grilling in the snow is fun as hell, this should be a great experience for the southerners and the tropical visitors.....
    I've had some fun with that, althoughit does take about 300 million years to get your food done. I about ate my own arm waiting on it once waiting on food grilling in 25 or so weather.
    edited November 2003
    Did you at least grill your arm first?
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    just a quick note: could everyone who replied grillwise PM me so i have real confirmation ...im gonna look into the disposable grills but spending less money == bettar
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Mackanz had this to say
    Yay! Najs with BBQ. However, i won´t bring a grill for obvioius reasons. Wonder what the flightcrew would say if i entered the 747 with a grill under my arm. That would be a classic Mr. Bean

;D;D;D OMG .. Do I have visions of that Mack :D
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    Why do we need power to grill? I have a gas grill and if need be, we can use that.

And BTW I was kidding about the george foreman grill. We only grill with fire 'round here.

Just not sure how I'd move it....its a bit big.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited December 2003
    Some outdoor grills are electric. And if you use a rotisserie motor, that must be plugged in too.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Still having a cookout of some sorts?

HMMmmmmm foooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I'm thinking they're banned with the new "No outside food" rule.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Never has to go inside the building.;) And besides, it would replace a full meal which most likely we would be going someplace for I guess. I dont know about the rest of ya but I cant eat snacks from a coffee place for several days.:)

Brian: This still allowed?
    edited March 2004
    They tend to barbecue outdoors a lot.. I am pretty sure that it will be no problem whatsoever for us to have an outdoor barbecue one of the days.

I'll post back on this issue.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited March 2004
    Outdoor bbq would be awesome :)
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    They tend to barbecue outdoors a lot.. I am pretty sure that it will be no problem whatsoever for us to have an outdoor barbecue one of the days.

I'll post back on this issue.
    That or we could just all go to Canada for the BBQ. I'm pretty sure that is out of the coffee shops jurisdiction. Besides, being deported from Canada would be a fun thing to talk about when we all get home. :D

Norge