winlogon problem

edited July 2007 in Hardware
If anyone can offer any help I would greatly appreciate it as I have spent endless hours searching for a solution and am at my wits end. My sons desktop pc running win xp with a ntfs file system, during a virus scan he quarenteened the file winlogon.exe. bad idea now i cannot in any way get into windows. I have downloaded many boot disks and cds I can view, I can copy to another drive but I can not find a way to copy the file back into place. I have no windows cd it is a dell with the install files on the drive. This seems to be so easy to fix just copy the file back to its original location but any option which gives me that ability requires the logon file to give me the permission to do it and all utilities I can find will either not recognize the ntfs drive or if they do can not write to it. Any help even including letting me know it is impossible so I can move on would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    Some dells have the ability to boot into the install files on the other partition and do a repair install. But be careful. Some only have the ability to wipe the drive and reinstall it to it's original 'shipped-to' state. I believe the newer ones can do a repair install.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    homer933 wrote:
    If anyone can offer any help I would greatly appreciate it as I have spent endless hours searching for a solution and am at my wits end. My sons desktop pc running win xp with a ntfs file system, during a virus scan he quarenteened the file winlogon.exe. bad idea now i cannot in any way get into windows. I have downloaded many boot disks and cds I can view, I can copy to another drive but I can not find a way to copy the file back into place. I have no windows cd it is a dell with the install files on the drive. This seems to be so easy to fix just copy the file back to its original location but any option which gives me that ability requires the logon file to give me the permission to do it and all utilities I can find will either not recognize the ntfs drive or if they do can not write to it. Any help even including letting me know it is impossible so I can move on would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

The tool you're looking for is called BartPE, and will load a barebones copy of windows with your own registry, CD-ROM and hard drive access. You'll be able to read/write NTFS write from windows explorer.
  • edited July 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    Some dells have the ability to boot into the install files on the other partition and do a repair install. But be careful. Some only have the ability to wipe the drive and reinstall it to it's original 'shipped-to' state. I believe the newer ones can do a repair install.

I can go back to shipped to state but not repair thanks for the info that may at this point be my only option right now i am trying to get the data I need of the drive with a utility and then do restore
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The tool you're looking for is called BartPE, and will load a barebones copy of windows with your own registry, CD-ROM and hard drive access. You'll be able to read/write NTFS write from windows explorer.

I have bartpe and ultimate cd but in order to use it for this objective I believe I would have to burn it from the system I need to fix I cant boot so I cant do this If I am wrong please let me know I am using a laptop that I could create the bartpe disk form but do not believe it will be usable on the desktop system if created in this manner
    edited July 2007
    Burn the ISOs on your laptop. It'll work on any PC, including your desktop.
  • edited July 2007
    thanks I will give that a try
  • edited July 2007
    do you recomend bartpe or ultimte cd I have both also am downloading knoppix
    edited July 2007
    BartPE will probably be the easiest.
  • edited July 2007
    thanks