computer resets after loading agp440.sys

edited October 2007 in Hardware
Greetings,

I am having a bit of PC trouble. I have a Windows XP machine here that if I start in safe mode, will get to:

.../agp440.sys

After loading this, it sits a moment, then resets.

I looked at the thread numbered 39430 titled Computer restarts while loading into Windows (can't post a link yet) which seemed to have a similar problem. I tried the chkdsk command, which said there were unrecoverable errors, or something of that nature on the disk.

The link at the bottom of that thread led me to a HD analyzer, which I downloaded and used. The analyzer came back with 0x70, corrupted sector.

I installed Windows XP on another drive then swapped it to the new machine (probably a bad move on my part, I can reinstall the drive while it is mounted in the machine tonight). However, this new HD hangs on the exact same spot, and then resets.

This leads me to believe it is a hardware problem, but is it really coincidental that the HD has been corrupted as well? I am running the drive scanner on the new HD right now.

I have unplugged all extra devices. I tried removing some of the memory (Dell 8200), as there are 4 sticks in the machine, but it seems if I remove even one of them the machine will not boot up and just makes a system beep sound over and over.

I have come across this error before and reinstalling the system was the only way I could fix it.

Anyway, if anyone has some advice I could really use it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    1) 0x70 indicates bad sector, as you indicated. That drive is junk and needs to be tossed.
    2) You indicated you installed Windows XP on a new drive in another computer, then tried to put it into the PC you're having trouble with. This will not work; Windows will never load.
    3) Remove two sticks at a time, and try them in different combinations.
    4) You'll need a new HD, and you'll need to use your recovery CDs on the new drive, at the very least, to get this PC going.
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    2) You indicated you installed Windows XP on a new drive in another computer, then tried to put it into the PC you're having trouble with. This will not work; Windows will never load.

Correct, I know it won't work. But it is loading to the same point and resetting, which indicates to me that there is some other hardware problem. The new HD passed the hard drive test.

I also saw in *another* different thread where you recommended the memtest86 tool, which I am using right now.

I tried pretty much every combination of memory I could think of and it still wouldn't boot. :( Hopefully this memtest program will indicate if the memory is having a problem or not.
    edited July 2007
    That may be coincidental. After the PC loads AGP440.sys, that's the point where Windows loads the registry files and begins activating devices in order to give you the welcome screen. Consequently, it's also the point in the boot process where a Windows drive swapped in from another PC will fail to load Windows. :)
  • edited July 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    That may be coincidental. After the PC loads AGP440.sys, that's the point where Windows loads the registry files and begins activating devices in order to give you the welcome screen. Consequently, it's also the point in the boot process where a Windows drive swapped in from another PC will fail to load Windows. :)

Haha well darn.

I will let this memtest finish, then start the installation in the new machine. Hopefully this cures my woes!
  • edited July 2007
    Haha well darn.

I will let this memtest finish, then start the installation in the new machine. Hopefully this cures my woes!

Definitely was a coincidence. Reinstalled the new drive while connected to the system and the problem is gone.

Thanks Thrax!
    edited July 2007
    No problem! :D Stick around, 1032!
  • edited October 2007
    Unfortunately, the problem has reared its ugly head again, but I believe this time in a different form.

Had a power outage, which was preceded by a small power surge. The computer is behaving the same again.

However, the hard drive test comes back with no errors, I ran the memory test on it also with no errors. I ran the recovery console and chkdsk said it did some repairs, but the machine booted in the same state.

Is this some other hardware problem now? Could the hard drive just be corrupted beyond repair?