I just bought a Panasonic PV-DV53... Having problems!

EliteABombAZEliteABombAZ Phoenix
edited November 2003 in Internet & Media
3 days ago I bought the Panasonic PV-DV53 Mini DV camcorder from Walmart for $348. I like the camera and all of the features, but tonight, I wanted to see what I had recorded so far (about 4 minutes into a Mini DV tape), and when I played it back, the picture has tons of graphical glitches, sound drops and big pixels showing up randomly. It is a Panasonic 60 minute tape. I was recording in LP mode. I watched what I recorded yesterday with no problems at all. Could it be the cassette or the camera? Should I take the camera back to Walmart? Get the same one or a different model? Also... I noticed that Mini DV tapes are the most expensive compared to all of the formats. How does Digtal 8 compare in picture quality and price?

EDIT:

I was messing with my camera agin just now, and the "Warning" label started flashing in the viewfinder/LCD and it flashed in big letters "HEADS NEED CLEANING." WTF?!?!? The camera is only like 3 days old.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Digital 8 is lower quality but cheaper media. Not to say that D8 is *bad* quality - the videos are fine.

Sounds like you got a bunk tape - i would say to buy a new tape, different brand, record a test video on it, and see if it does the same thing. if it does, your camera needs to go back to the store....