Dimension 2350

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I have a dimension 2350 and i would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the motherboard? This is the link to all the documentation
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/specs.htm#1101572

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Upgrade to what? It's a socket 478 P4; all the socket 478 mobos are pretty trashy compared to today's offerings. Or are you also talking a CPU upgrade?
  • edited July 2007
    LOL i was i need of a better allround motherboard that offers agp or pci-e slot xD
    or could i get a faster MOBO and replace processor...what else might i need to replace
    edited July 2007
    Asus P4C800-E or Abit IC7-MAX3 are probably the best boards of the 478 generation. Those will give you AGP. If you want anything more, you might as well build your own PC.
  • edited July 2007
    will i have any problems with the size of the board fitting inside my case since my computer is from dell... and thanks for quick responses
    edited July 2007
    You shouldn't have issues, but some Dells had their mobo standoffs (The holes for mounting the motherboard in the case) in proprietary positions that don't meet the ATX standard. It may also have a proprietary power supply that'll kill your board the moment you turn it on, as that Dell is of the age where they were still doing that on some machines.
  • edited July 2007
    so what do u say i do?
    edited July 2007
    Build a new PC. That Dell is old enough that it could potentially be dangerous to the parts you want to keep, and not terribly cost effective to upgrade, because you'd be upgrading a dead end into another dead end.

You can have an amazing PC with great upgrade potential for less than $1000 these days.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    I agree set that machine up as a second machine, through linux on it maybe, turn it into a file server/media machine whatever. It's not worth upgrading since you are limited in how far forward you can upgrade before you are buying a new computer anyway.