Which NAS?

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I'm looking for a NAS - (in my work capacity this is)

Can anyone reccomend a good starting place for reviews etc?

(Or even one you can personally reccomend for a small/medium office environment)

I think the most important requirements are reliability, durability and environmental factors - i.e. quiet and cool.

Speed is not really an issue - most of the time the files stored on it and used from it would be only a few mb's in size - excel files, word files etc, at the very most some psd's etc - no media or massive files.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    How many users are going to be accessing it how much total drive space do you want on it and how robust/redundant do you need it to be? Also how much money are you looking to spend as they can go from $200 to $20,000 easily.

If you want something middle of the line brand wise that is robust and has lots of options I personally suggest the Buffalo line of NAS's. They are reliable, come in many sizes and are dead easy to setup. If you need something enterprise class don't mess around and go directly to IBM.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I agree with kryyst on the Buffalo products.

I have had a LinkStation Pro for several months now. It has performed flawlessly. It has gigabit network with Large Packet support, Active directory/domain/workgroup support and is relatively fast (12-18 w/o jumbo frames, 20-30 w jumbo frames).

It has been on continuously for 6 months backing itself up to an attached USB drive just as advertised.

Well worth a look for the relative cheap cost.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited July 2007
    It's going to be for 25-30 people.

They will be accessing office documents 99.9% of the time - so small file sizes basically.

As for redundancy - 2HDD's mirrored (Raid 1?!) will be sufficient

Then it basically just needs to run fairly silent and cool.

As for capacity, even a small one @ 250gb in each hdd would be sufficient I think.

I was looking @ the buffalo ones - they look ideal - a step up from the home user / consumer nas but not the enterprise class super expensive 4hdd ones
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    D-link has some sweet options on the market :)
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Here's a link to some pretty good reviews and info on NAS's.

The D-link dual sata NAS is highly rated like Sledge said.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    If your going to have that many people you would be better off using a pc with a good network card and samba.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I have a QNAP TS 101 it kicks ass too, it's a server in a tiny box