E6850 or Q6600?

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Im looking to upgrade my cpu but im not to sure which one to go for seeing as the prices are quite close

I play alot of games but to burn alot of videos with nero and was wondering which would be the best one to go for as far as future proofing it a little would go ?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Q6600.
  • edited August 2007
    If your emphasis is on gaming go the E6850 route, as this will give better performance (FPS) in games, however if you do a lot of video/audio encoding go the Q6600 route, as the 4 cores are normally utilised by this kind of software.......and if you do a lot of both, go the Q6600 route. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Sacred, you do fold right? After all that is the most critical application.

Today there isn't a lot of software that will run 4 threads. If it was mw I would go with the E6850.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I would stick with Q6600... with simple OC'ing you can get the same results from the Q6600 as the E6850 and when more app's roll out that support Quad cores you will be ready.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Difficult choice. Both are excellent processors. The Q6600 would be a better long term solution IMO. The E6850 would be faster for the forseeable future in most regards. If you are the type to upgrade frequently, the E6850 may be a better choice. As sledge mentioned above, it should be possible to get the Q6600 up to 3GHz without too much trouble. Of course, that all depends whether or not you are comfortable overclocking.