DDR Booster and P4C800

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi there!

I was just wondering what happened when you guys went over 3.6v with the Booster - which part fried? I have also read that Ryder ran his at 3.9v on a P4C800 with apparently no issues... Did he perform any modifications to do that reliably?

I have taken mine to 3.8v so far, but not for very long because I really don't want to lose this board, it's the fastest thing I have! :)

So.. Why the 3.6v limit, lads? :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Unless you're air-cooling the DIMMs and the VRMs, you could start frying both at that voltage.
  • edited July 2007
    I do my best to cool them if I give 3.2v or more... But they're BH-6, so they really really like volts..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Indeed, but even so, you're at the point where it's going to start being a trade-off. 3.6v is a lot, even for Winbond.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Lots of people tested the BH6 and BH5 to its limits really. Generally, 3.8 volts lasted about a month or so.
  • edited July 2007
    Lots of people tested the BH6 and BH5 to its limits really. Generally, 3.8 volts lasted about a month or so.

Now that I didn't know... How's the lifetime at 3.6v? And what's the maximum "safe" voltage for 24/7, would you say? I know nothing over 2.5v is really "safe" as such, but how about for at least 18 months life? :)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2008
    Ah the good ol' BH-5. I ran a 2x256 kit at 3.5-3.6V for quite a while. I saw no benefit and worse OCs when exceeding 3.6V on my kit. :) 3.4-3.6 seems to be the sweet spot in my experience.

Honestly though, I don't think there is any guarantee whatsoever of longevity when running vDIMM in that ballpark. Personally, I would stay below 3.3V if you are looking for longer (12+ month) reliability. Its a risk the hardcore take :buck: