reinstall on a dell

edited July 2007 in Hardware
I have been having some problems with my sons dell machine. It will not boot to windows cant get to safe mode nothing dont want to format drive so i have been using ultimate cd and got rid of all virus and other stuff. Now i want to repair windows. machine has i386 dir with windows setup files on it. Can I just run setup or winnt from this dir to get the desired result or do I need to create a windows cd to do that. I can not find the article right now but I believe I read one that said all you had to do was run winnt from the dir and it would reinstall windows but not erase any data on the drive because you are starting windows setup after the format section actually right after the first reboot any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Dell computers require system recovery CDs to be recovered. The files on that recovery partition are supplementary files and not a full copy of Windows.

You'd have to order discs from Dell, and they'd set it back to the OEM state. You can't do repair installs with their newest discs.