Windows XP reinstall problems

edited July 2007 in Hardware
After upgrading my hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 8200, I attempted to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition using my "Dell Reinstallation Operating System CD". During installation of Windows, I received several error messages stating "setup can't copy file digiras.chm, dmutil.dll, driver.cab, dvdplayer.exe, and per_seg1.swf." When asked if I wanted to continue set up although these files could not be copied, I said "yes." After a bot of research, it looks like the files may not have been able to copy because my disc looks scratched :(!! What are these files for? What kind of problems will I encounter without them? Is there any way I can fix the problem now that I have installed Windows without them? Just when I thought I was kicking butt upgrading a new hard drive on my own...my efforts have been foiled!! :mad: I would love any advice that you have to offer.

FYI: This is the first time I have ever posted a message on a forum like this, reading a bit more, I am worried as a neophyte that I may not have posted this messgae in the right place. Sincere apologies if I am making an error...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Of those files, only driver.cab and dmutil.dll are moderately important. If those are the only files that were missed, see if you can copy dmutil.dl_ from the I386 directory on that CD to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Rename the file to DMUTIL.DLL once it's copied.

Driver.cab will be updated/created with a newer version when you update to service pack 2.

Welcome to Icrontic. :)