which slots to use for dual memory?

edited July 2007 in Hardware
Yes i'm back and confused as usual. My mobo manual isnt very clear on were to install my new ram to achieve duel capability. Here's what i'm reading and scratchin my head over. Hopefully it will be plain as day to one of you folks.
Right now I have my two 1gb sticks in dimm_A1 & A2, is this correct?

Book reads:
ASUS
P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
Channel A Sockets: dimm_A1(yellow) dimm_A2(black)
Channel B Sockets: dimm_B1(yellow) dimm_B2(black)

"For dual-channel configuration, the total size of memory module(s) installed per channel must be the same (dimm_A1 + dimm_A2=dimm_B1+dimm_B2)."

Looks like a dern algibra equation, and I only got 10 fingers. If i'm able to make any contribution to this community, its probably gonna be NOT to let your brains get dusty.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    You can always try trial and error. My mobo manual sucked too. I tried one way and when it POSTed, it said I had 2 sticks in single channel. Then I changed it and it said I had 2 sticks in dual channel.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Channel 1: Yellow/yellow
    Channel 2: Black/black

All sticks must be the same size and installed in even quantities to be recognized as dual-channel.

Move DIMM A2 to B1.
  • edited July 2007
    ah Thrax, you are fast reaching hero status in my book, now I dont wanna get audited next year cause you claimed me as a dependent...lol
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    All I ask in return is that you stick around Icrontic. ;)
  • edited July 2007
    yea i think i'm gonna stick around and learn a few things. I alread been braggin this site up to my normal circles.
  • edited July 2007
    baffles me how when i was testin my lone ram stick the other day, it wouldnt boot in a black slot. Yet it showed i had 2gb tonight when i had two sticks in single mode. Makes me alittle iffy about slappin anymore ram in those slots.