Can not connect to internet

hustler07hustler07 USA Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Hi guys,

I have a timely problem. I was trying to tweak my gf's laptop so it would run faster. I was using Black Vipers "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Configurations" guide, and when I restarted I could not access the internet. It will try to connect and when I try to repair it says I have no IP address and can't obtain one. I have put all the settings back, but it still doesn't work. Please help.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Wow Black Viper is back... didn't know that.

You disabled one of the services is DHCP Client enabled, manual or disabled?
  • hustler07hustler07 USA Member
    edited July 2007
    I believe I disabled it, but now it is enabled and started.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Might have to reboot to get it going properly.... but really when your disabling services that you're unsure about you should do them one at a time to be make it doesn't mess with anything. You can select it to disable the service, then STOP the service to see if it messed anything up.
    edited July 2007
    That is the odd thing. I did that, but when I restarted it messed it up.
    edited July 2007
    Do you have any ideas on what i can do, or what is wrong?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Best idea is to backtrack, I don't have all these services memorized like I used to becuase I just don't screw with them anymore other than a select few. Just start undoing them, I'd suggest working on the "Safe" variation and set the services that way. I am kind of curious if somehow TCP/IP got turned off on your drivers config.... you can check on that when you goto the LAN connection properties and see if "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" is checked... if it is, uncheck it, apply or OK and reboot, then recheck it and see if that helps.
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the help, I know I didn't give you that much info. I have fixed the problem, I believe it was because I had two firewalls installed. Do you know where there is a guide to uninstalling norton and putting in a new firewall/anti-virus scanner? Thanks for the help.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    hustler07 wrote:
    Thanks for the help, I know I didn't give you that much info. I have fixed the problem, I believe it was because I had two firewalls installed. Do you know where there is a guide to uninstalling norton and putting in a new firewall/anti-virus scanner? Thanks for the help.

Norton really is a POS in my mind... you "should" be able to go to it's uninstall program which will remove it, if you cannot find it, open "Control Panel>Add/Remove Software" and you should find it in there to remove it and most of it's secondary software like the auto update software and other crapola.

Good alternatives most here seem to recomend are AVG, Avast, and Kaspersky.

Sorry for my late replies, I like to help out but I am usually at work while I am visiting the forums.