computer memory

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Just a quick question. I have run memtest and it determined that one of my sticks of ram is bad, maybe both. I am testing now to see. My question is, if i buy ddr 800 and my compputer only supports ddr 266, will it work and just run at a lower speed or will it not work at all. I am in Japan and the only place that I found to buy memory just has faster speeds not ddr266.

Thanks,

P

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Well is the DDR800 DDRI or DDRII memory? It's very likely your looking at DDRII memory, and that your system only supports DDRI...
  • edited July 2007
    well, will any ddr1 work or does it have to be ddr266?
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2007
    Typically DDR400 would be the fastest RAM that will run at 266. This is definitely DDR1 (standard DDR SDRAM), also called PC2100/DDR226 or PC3200/DDR400. There's also (briefly) PC2400/DDR300 and more commonly PC2700/DDR333, and these should work too. Mileage may vary.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Yeah.. what stoopid said... ;D

Your looking for 184-pin DDR... I mean there are faster memory speeds for DDR1, but officially supported the fastest is 400. It is able to run at lower speeds just fine.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2007
    RWB wrote:
    I mean there are faster memory speeds for DDR1, but officially supported the fastest is 400.

Does that mean that DDR500 is not "officially" supported? :wtf: neat
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Does that mean that DDR500 is not "officially" supported? :wtf: neat

AFAIK... I mean they make it and I am sure memory manuafacturers will support it, but as far as memory controllers are concerned 400 is the highest, naturally you can go well beyond that. "Officially" means crap to most of us anyways :p
  • edited August 2007
    Ok, I went out and bought new memory. I came home and ran memtest on it, it failed as well. Is there something that could be causing it to fail other than bad memory? I bought 2 new sticks, and they are both failing.

TIA

P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Your board might be going belly up. Blow out the DIMM slots with canned air, or an air compressor, and make sure that the memory is firmly seated thereafter.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited August 2007
    In addition to Thrax's suggestions/diagnosis, a failing power supply and/or CPU could also cause enough instability to cause memtest to fail.

By chance is there a small fan on your motherboard? Is it spinning? if not, it's supposed to, and can also contribute to system instability. You would need to replce that small fan. [btw - I'm not referring to the larger fan on the CPU, which should be spinning as well, but you'd likely have bigger issues if that wasn't working]
  • edited August 2007
    There is not a smaller fan on the MoBo. Just the CPU fan which is going just fine. Also, I am starting to believe that it is my motherboard, since my CPU is brand new and it does the same thing having the old CPU on. I think that I might have messed up the MoBo when putting the CPU fan back on as I had to push down on it rather hard to get it to set right. Also, I just bought new memory and my PS is only about 3 months old. So more and more I am led to believe that my MoBo is bad.