DVD Burner / Drive not recognizing discs...

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi guys, it's been a while, but finally it isn't a virus issue... Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I was having some issues with my DVD Burner. It is a Samsung SH-S182M Burner. Like I was saying, I had some issues, at first I only used it to burn CD's, never needed anything larger, but recently I wanted to free up some space, so I tried to burn a DVD...It failed. So I decided to update the firmware thinking that would help, but now I can't even read a CD or DVD. Before I could do both, and could burn CD's, but now when I insert a CD or DVD, I double click the drive from My Computer, and the drive is empty... The guys told me to try a lens cleaner, but I haven't had time to try that, because I doubt that is the issues. Before I go buy one, I was wondering, if you guys might know a solution. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and reloading the older firmware. Thanks guys...

Mr. Zombie

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Reloading older firmware is usually asking for more trouble. I was going to say try updating the firmware and make sure you are using high quality media

But some times drives just die :(

It's a cold fact
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, you are right, but I don't think it's the media, because I can't even play music CD's or Video games bought from the store. I will try the lens cleaner, and get back to you.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    so things were working, you updated the firmware and they stopped working. I'd say your firmware is messed up.

Save the $15 or whatever you were going to spend on a lens cleaner (which I highly doubt is the problem) and put it to the $45 or so it costs to just replace the drive.
  • edited August 2007
    I agree with Kryyst. Lens cleaner costs more than the benefit. Especially with how cheap drives are now