random restarts

edited August 2007 in Hardware
My PC keeps restarting itself. I just installed a new 2.8 P4 in it today. I think that this is what is causing it because it did not happen before. I ran memtest on my computer, and it says both of my sticks are bad. Why would installing a new CPU make my memory go bad. Is there anything else that I need to check before I buy more memory? Here is the error.

*** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbf82813e, 0xa72dfbdc, 0x00000000)

*** Win32k.sys - address BF82813E base at BF800000, Datestamp 45f013f6

TIA

P

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    reset the bios to defaults. It's more likely that the clock timings are not jiving with your new machine and throwing it off. Then run memtest again.
  • edited August 2007
    Ok, I dont think that I should have started 2 threads, sorry for that. Anyways, the bios on my motherboard was reset and i changed the jumper pin on my MB from 400FSB to 533FSB. I went and got 2 new sticks of ram just in case, and they are both failing too. My computer restart message has now changed from 0x0000008E to 0x0000000a. I have cleaned out my RAM sockets with air and both cards are seated properly. I have also searched the forum and done the RootKit tests. Still nothing. How can I tell if I need a new motherboard?

Any help with this one?

Thanks,

P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    From what you've listed, it sounds like your board is either:

A) Dying, or..
    B) Needs to be taken out of the case and operated on cardboard or wood for testing.
  • edited August 2007
    Is there a good way to troubleshoot it? Would it be better to have someone work on it for me or just spend a little on a new motherboard? If i get a motherboard what kind should I get? I would like to not have to upgrade anything else since I just put a new CPu and Ram in. Here is what I have:

2.8 P4 Northwood (socket 478)
    1GB DDR266
    AGP video card (ATI x1650 Pro)
    and a few little PCI slot takers.

I dont mind buying little stuff, but a MoBo and a new case would be about all the big stuff I would want.

Also, Would I have messed up my motherboard by putting in my new CPU. I didnt have any of the trouble that I am having now before I did that.

Thanks everyone, a ton...

P
  • edited August 2007
    I have yet again received a new error message, but did not have time to see what it was before my wife reset my computer. Also, I dont know if this will help narrow anything down, but I use quickpar to fix binary files that I have downloaded. Since installing the CPU and my memory or whatever going bad, now I can not fix anything with it. I keep getting Checksum failure: probable memory fault. Like I said, I dont know if this will help narrow anything down, but i can hope. If I have to get a new MoBo I think that I am going with an ASUS P4M800. Anyone know anything about this board and if it is good?

TIA

P
    edited August 2007
    I think your mobo is toast at this point. The only other fix I can think of is my suggestion B) above. Otherwise, I recommend the IC7-MAX3 or P4C-800E for 478 boards.
  • edited August 2007
    Will my 478 socket work with these? If not, what do you think about this one? Asus P4V8X-MX?

Thanks,

P
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Otherwise, I recommend the IC7-MAX3 or P4C-800E for 478 boards.
  • edited August 2007
    Sorry Thrax, I missed that. One last question and I will leave you alone. Do you know where I can purchase one of those? I have looked almost everywhere, minus ebay and can not find one.

Thanks,

P