Folding By Fall!

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Folding@Home
Well I have been and will be studying farming/networking and should have my farm ready by fall(and the perfect temperature for doing so!)

I want to add a few budget-yet-modern units to this farm. I can afford around 200/300(Max) per machine - any suggestions? Celery's have done me fine in the past for similar types of projects - how is the modern Celeron?

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Plus I want to be a Team Member!!! ...not just (yet gladly-enjoying every moment!) a Forum-goer!

And in the top 20 at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Depending on what you get can mean a world of differance in price. But with a Linus OS you can get a nice system pretty cheap :) I can get a AMD system in the $290 range and a Intel system, in the $350 range :) below is just a mid range system break down :)

I shoudl also mention the Intel system with fold 20% faster than the AMD system... so price vs. points is on you :) but either or you can get 900PPD+ easily with a SMP client on either system.

Dual Core Intel:

Case + PSU = CoolerMaster $49.99
    Segate 80GB HD = $38.99 (you can get smaller cheaper drives)
    WinTec 1 GB DDR2 800 = $44.99 (512MB is also Cheaper)
    MSI 775 = $43.99
    Intel E6600 Dual Core: $222.90 (As low as $126.00)
    GPU - onboard

Total + Shipping = $454.82

Dual Core AMD:

Case + PSU = CoolerMaster $49.99
    Segate 80GB HD = $38.99 (you can get smaller cheaper drives)
    WinTec 1 GB DDR2 800 = $44.99 (512MB is also Cheaper)
    Foxconn AM2 = $54.99 (-20 MIR = $34.99)
    AMD AM2 6000+ = $169.00 - proce range form $169 - $69
    GPU - onboard

Total + Shipping = $407.60 with $20 MIR = $387.60
    edited August 2007
    Thank you for the reply Sledgehammer70
    It will probably be running Xubuntu/Ubuntu and be solely dedicated to folding and extra storage (redundant backup etc...)
    Intel has 20% on the equivalent AMD budget system??!
    Probably build something around the Intel system that you posted.
    edited August 2007
    The 20% was based on a 6000+ vs a E6600. the Intel system can also be bumped to a Quad 6600 for just another $50.. no one knows what AMD's Quads will be proced at or their performance numbers :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Yeah... what Sledge said. He's the guy with the numbers. Core 2 Duo (or quad) is the best bang for the buck. :thumbsup:

As for being a teammate... turn in your first work unit, you're a member!!! :D
    edited August 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Yeah... what Sledge said. He's the guy with the numbers. Core 2 Duo (or quad) is the best bang for the buck. :thumbsup:

As for being a teammate... turn in your first work unit, you're a member!!! :D

Sounds Good!:bigggrin:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    In terms of 'points/$ of machine' nothing will touch a C2D running SMP. It is almost scary how much work these will do.
    edited August 2007
    From what I am interpreting here it looks like my processor info is WAY OUT OF DATE! ;D
    Core duo affordable???:confused: The last big investment I made was a P4 640 64bit HT 3. GHz + 2GB RAM- which for what I use it for Is spectacular. It's looking like my folders/extraHD(storage) might have a bit more processing OOOMPH then my (personal) pride and joy.
    I need extra storage + I wanted to lend a hand/become a member + I love the excuse to buy a few new computers! + I would like to fight cancer (for me it's a pre-emptive strike!).......................
    Writing this via a P2 - the only computer that runs(24/7) cool enough during the summer, and would be using it to fold - but I am sure it would not meet deadlines.
    edited August 2007
    a Core 2 Duo E6600 will run circles around your P4. and a Quad core will run even faster. As for heat the P4 architecture is a room heater by far. the C2D architecture runs very cool... probably cooler than that P2 :)