URGENT HELP PLEASE!

edited August 2007 in Hardware
I am having to use a friends pc as I am getting the message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I do not have the recovery disc for the computer as it was bought second hand, can anyone please help?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What kind of PC is it?

Any hardware changes lately?

Try removing all but 1 stick of ram to see if the symptoms change. If nothing changes, test all sticks of ram, 1 at a time to see if anything changes.
  • edited August 2007
    Its a Packard Bell, thats all the info I have at the moment, will try removing the ram and see how i get on.

Thanks
  • edited August 2007
    any other fixes are more than welcome............... please???
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    This is not the type of problem where one goes "Hey, I know the problem, this is how you fix it"

If nothing has changed in the PC, then you have some hardware failing to cause this error. What hardware, can only be determined with some trial and error.
    Let us know the outcome of the ram tests.... then we can move forward.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    People act like computer science is finite..
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    The only real solution to do is a repair install from the disks - or a clean install. You may luck out with some other tips, but that's the only guaranteed solution.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    The only real solution to do is a repair install from the disks - or a clean install. You may luck out with some other tips, but that's the only guaranteed solution.

He's right, honestly. This problem has no exact cause, and only one guaranteed solution, and Kryyst nailed it.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    He's right, honestly. This problem has no exact cause, and only one guaranteed solution, and Kryyst nailed it.

Not the final solution if you have failing hardware...
  • Tom-SrTom-Sr Memphis, TN but moving to Tequesta FL soon
    edited August 2007
    Seneca Data computers have a utility called 'PC Angel' included with the opsys. You can't simply replace 'System' on your computer because it is running when windows is running. What PC Angel does in this case to allow you to boot, move all of your data into a single folder and then reload the operating system, enabling you to move your programs and data back to where they belong afterword. HP's may not have it but it or something like it is usally accessed by pushing the appropriate 'F' key when on the boot screen.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited August 2007
    Tom Sr is going in the right direction I think - Most HP PCs will either have the restore disks (which you dont have) or when it boots will have message saying hit F2 ???? for setup or something like that and then take you to the installation disk on your hard drive.

If this one has neither - buy yourself a copy of XP and format the hard drive and install XP - you will need to find the drivers for the hardware and the motherboard - a long process - and ultimately no guarantees if it is a peice of hardware failing - that hardware will still fail!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    The best thing to do is write down device version names when you've still got your damaged OS up, then google'em or go to the proper site when you're done formatting.