Neeeeed some help pleaaase

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Thanks ;)

I just did a fresh install for Windows XP on my Gateway MX3228 notebook. As a result, I lost my wireless driver.

As we all know, the drivers for Wireless at Support/Gateway website don't work, so I went to the HP website and tried to download the drivers there.

Apparently it's a Broadcom 802.11 that my laptop needs. I downloaded every one that I could find on the HP site and installed all of them -

Now I used to be computer savvy, but for the past few years I have sucked. I am assuming that by merely installing the Broadcom Network Utility driver that magically the wireless internet icon will pop up and it'll pick up the wireless signals around my house -
but apparently this is not so. In fact, I see no difference.

I do not have a network at home to connect to. I just pick up my signal from the neighbors :eek: Will someone please tell me what to do?

Thanks everyone.
Best wishes,
Jazz

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What do you mean doesn't work?
  • edited August 2007
    Hi!

You know the wireless icon on the server tray? I don't have any wireless icon at all - not on the tray, not in the Connection options, even though I installed the Network Utility Driver. I don't have a wireless network here to connect to via cable since I pick up the neighbors' signal, so I can't route a wireless connection on my own.

Am I missing a step or a program?
  • edited August 2007
    OH I'm sorry! You meant with the Gateway website right?

When you try to install the wireless drivers directly from the Gateway website, they don't unpack and the files don't work.

It's been this way for about 2 years. There have been quite a number of calls and complaints from other Gateway users about this issue, but they still haven't done anything with this.

Sorry for misunderstanding.
    edited August 2007
    These drivers downloaded and unpacked properly.
  • edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    [These] drivers downloaded and unpacked properly.

Thank you very much, but those are exactly the drivers that don't work :(

I meant the file is corrupt.
    No Gateway user that has gone to the site to re-install their proper drivers has been able to successfully install the file from the support.Gateway site.

Do you mind telling me the names of the drivers, please?
    And then I just unpack and install them, and then the Wireless icon will show up?
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited August 2007
    Why not try the broadcom site and download the driver there? You just need to know the model number of the thing you need a driver for. Not sure if that will work (I'm kinda laptop/wireless noob) but it's worth a shot(?)
    http://www.broadcom.com/

you could also try this
    edited August 2007
    JazzOcelot wrote:
    Thank you very much, but those are exactly the drivers that don't work :(

I meant the file is corrupt.
    No Gateway user that has gone to the site to re-install their proper drivers has been able to successfully install the file from the support.Gateway site.

Do you mind telling me the names of the drivers, please?
    And then I just unpack and install them, and then the Wireless icon will show up?

Which file is corrupt? You don't need to use the broadcom installer executable. Just point the Windows driver finder at the folder.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Is the wireless even detected in device manager?
  • edited August 2007
    AlphaTrinity, I did try both of those options beforehand, thank you ;)

Thrax, I will try that tonight, thank you.

Sledgehammer, it used to be, but since I reinstalled Windows it's not anymore :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Do a windows new hardware search.... see what it comes up with.