Coolingboxes?

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am about to try out one of those coolingboxes for beers and sodas. I have found one that can operate on both 220V and 12V which means i can just plug it in in the wall under the pc desk. I run my loop with the pump submersed anyway, so i thought i can just as well sub it into one of those coolers instead.

Do anyone know what kind of temperatures those can cool down things with? Im only interested in 15-20c as the lowest since i dont want to condensproof and that stuff, i just want slightly cooler water, thats all.

Mac

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited June 2003
    They say the thermoelectric coolers will cool to 30-40 degrees farenheit below ambient room temperature.

This would be more accurate at room temps of 70-100 F. I think it wouldn't do any SUPER freezing job at below 60 F.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/81798prod.html

Would it work to cool the water? Sure it would. I'd get one of those coleman coolers with the removable lid. I'd drill two holes and tap in two spigots, seal it with goopy sealant and fill it with water. It would be great.

If you do go this route...document with pictures every step of the way from pre to post. I'd love to see that as guide and what the pre temps are...and after temps are. :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    This may very well be perfect for my needs. No condensproof is neede when this small temperature drops is in use. I have read somewhere that you dont need to proof if the water is 10-12C below ambient and 10-12c would mean a lot in my case. I can even throw away the radiator as well which will improve the flow of the water. I found 2 versions, one 22 liters and one 30 liters so the small one will do perfectly well.

Thanks!

Mac
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Do these things make noise, or are they silent? It would appear to be a good option for cooling if quiet...they are a bit large though.

~dodo
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited June 2003
    They are dead silent. Thermoelectric. And yes...they are the size of a standard cooler that you take on picnics.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    i looked into these a while ago, and opted against it. After reading up on the coolers I found a lot of warnings against getting water near the motor, and that it could start a fire. Might not be the same product, but I thought you might like to know. The box I was looking at was about the size and shape of a medium sized (rectangular) trash can with the Thermoelectric module in the lid.