Problem with memory on ABIT AN8 Fatal1ty

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi guys,

I have 2x512mb G.SKILL ZX Ram PC3200 and 2x512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 and they work fine in my motherboard at DDR400.

However a couple of days ago I bought 2x 1gb OCZ Platinum EL Revision 2 PC3200 ram modules and put them alongside 2x512mb modules.

For some reason the bios reports DDR200!! I change it manually in the bios and the PC doesnt boot properly it gives a beeping noise.

So I left the 2x 1gb sticks in the motherboard and its perfect at DDR400! I put in 1 of the 512mb modules and nope back to DDR200 again!

Anyone please help in why my motherboard goes to DDR200 as soon as I put another module in?

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+ CPU

Comments

• edited August 2007
    I just found out from Abit technical help that the problem is due to the CPU memory controller and its because of a problem all AMD 939 cpu's have.

So basically I am stuck with 2GB ram @ DDR400 and can never have anything higher @ DDR400 :sad2:
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, that is one of the disadvantages of having an onboard memory controller built into the processor I'm afraid. However, you might be able to get the memory to run at DDR333 speeds if you set it manually and also make sure the command rate is set to 2T instead of 1T.
  • edited August 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, that is one of the disadvantages of having an onboard memory controller built into the processor I'm afraid. However, you might be able to get the memory to run at DDR333 speeds if you set it manually and also make sure the command rate is set to 2T instead of 1T.

Thanks for the advice.

I have overclocked the memory however to DDR433 with 2.8v however if I try to go any higher i.e. 466 or 500 the PC will not boot it makes a beeping noise.

I would highly appreciate it if you or anyone else could perhaps advise on what settings to use in order to get more memory in my PC with the fastest speeds.

Am using Windows Vista 64bit Premium

Abit AN8 Fatal1ty (NON SLI) motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Dual Core

2x1gb modules PC3200 DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL Revision 2 memory.

Oh and what does that command rate mean? I am not that highly profficient in understanding many things in the bios especially the memory timings etc screen on what it all means.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    I'm not too familiar with that kit, are the default timings 2-3-2-5?.

With a 3800+ DC, you can leave command timing at 1T or CPC ON. With only two sticks, this will be fine. Command timing can greatly impact stability and performance. With >2 DIMMs, you'll have to disable CPC (2T command timing) for stability with an A64.

If you're looking for higher overclocks, you'll likely have to loosen the timings a bit. Try to loosen up the Trp timing to 3 and Tras to 8 (2-3-3-8). See how much more headroom you get.

This article I wrote a while back may still be relevant: http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_memory_clock

Thanks for the advice.

I have overclocked the memory however to DDR433 with 2.8v however if I try to go any higher i.e. 466 or 500 the PC will not boot it makes a beeping noise.

I would highly appreciate it if you or anyone else could perhaps advise on what settings to use in order to get more memory in my PC with the fastest speeds.

Am using Windows Vista 64bit Premium

Abit AN8 Fatal1ty (NON SLI) motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Dual Core

2x1gb modules PC3200 DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL Revision 2 memory.

Oh and what does that command rate mean? I am not that highly profficient in understanding many things in the bios especially the memory timings etc screen on what it all means.