Need to troubleshoot missing hal.dll as well as boot.ini file

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Hi! I am incredibly desperate for help, and have been scouring the net for information for the past few days. Here is the situation:

After returing from a three week vacation, I came home to a computer that initially would not start windows. Instead I found that the system32 file was missing or corrupt (I searched the thread pertaining to this error message but got myself into perhaps deeper trouble).

I tried the memtest86, and passed all tests.

Booting from the Windows XP Home CD, I entered Recovery console.

I have tried chkdsk /p, /r, /f, all to no avail.

I have tried bootcfg /rebuild, but it ends in an error stating that it has failed to succesfully scan disks for Windows installations.

There was a fix that involved attrib -h and some other letters, followed by deletion of boot.ini, and then bootcfg /rebuild, but I believe that may have caused a greater problem. Not sure.

When I type cd windows, it states that Access is denied. Also, I have tried to do a repair installation, but instead of listing the version of windows or whatnot, it lists several partitions and asks me to choose which to delete or create.

In an effort to salvage the data I failed to backup, I have downloaded knoppix and successfully backed up all pictures, music, and documents. I also copied the driver folder because I read somewhere that was necessary. Because the boot.ini file was missing from the C drive, I tried creating another and writing to the ntsf (or is it ntfs?) partition via knoppix, but it would not work because writing to that partition is unstable. And I could not find the captive-NTFS driver in the utilities section of knoppix (ver 3.9).

So far, I have tried just about everything I have read with no luck. I am fortunate enough to have saved my information, but am fearful to reinstall windows as I do not have the original XP Home CD and will be using someone else's product key.

Any ideas or thoughts? If there is nothing more I can do, I am willing to install windows, but would like to know what else I need from my harddrive before reformatting, and also how to do it, as the installation process shows the partitions that I could possibly write over. Would I have to delete them all before installing Windows on one of those partitions? I have come close to giving up and taking it to a repair shop, and if need be will do it... but I still have hope! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Info: Dell Inspiron 6000
Windows XP Home
Intel Centrino
Cd Burner/Dvd drive
Laptop about 2 years old.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    mayday wrote:
    Hi! I am incredibly desperate for help, and have been scouring the net for information for the past few days. Here is the situation:

After returing from a three week vacation, I came home to a computer that initially would not start windows. Instead I found that the system32 file was missing or corrupt (I searched the thread pertaining to this error message but got myself into perhaps deeper trouble).

I tried the memtest86, and passed all tests.

Booting from the Windows XP Home CD, I entered Recovery console.

I have tried chkdsk /p, /r, /f, all to no avail.

I have tried bootcfg /rebuild, but it ends in an error stating that it has failed to succesfully scan disks for Windows installations.

There was a fix that involved attrib -h and some other letters, followed by deletion of boot.ini, and then bootcfg /rebuild, but I believe that may have caused a greater problem. Not sure.

When I type cd windows, it states that Access is denied. Also, I have tried to do a repair installation, but instead of listing the version of windows or whatnot, it lists several partitions and asks me to choose which to delete or create.

In an effort to salvage the data I failed to backup, I have downloaded knoppix and successfully backed up all pictures, music, and documents. I also copied the driver folder because I read somewhere that was necessary. Because the boot.ini file was missing from the C drive, I tried creating another and writing to the ntsf (or is it ntfs?) partition via knoppix, but it would not work because writing to that partition is unstable. And I could not find the captive-NTFS driver in the utilities section of knoppix (ver 3.9).

So far, I have tried just about everything I have read with no luck. I am fortunate enough to have saved my information, but am fearful to reinstall windows as I do not have the original XP Home CD and will be using someone else's product key.

Any ideas or thoughts? If there is nothing more I can do, I am willing to install windows, but would like to know what else I need from my harddrive before reformatting, and also how to do it, as the installation process shows the partitions that I could possibly write over. Would I have to delete them all before installing Windows on one of those partitions? I have come close to giving up and taking it to a repair shop, and if need be will do it... but I still have hope! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Info: Dell Inspiron 6000
    Windows XP Home
    Intel Centrino
    Cd Burner/Dvd drive
    Laptop about 2 years old.

Microsoft has a media replacment form on there website that you can fill out.
    If you have an oem machines like a dell ive been told they charge $30.

I dont know if end users can access it but if you go to your local computer store (Thats a Microsoft certified system builder, they can provide you with a copy of the media replacement forms.)

A reinstalation of windows would be the best way to fix the problem.

edit: Media replacement forum

Submit the media replacement form by fax to (661) 244-4401.
  • edited August 2007
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if I still need to acquire the Media replacement CD if I have a Windows XP Home CD in my posession? My only concern with using that particular version is that it only includes SP1, and I am not confident in creating a slipstreamed CD with SP2 on it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    mayday wrote:
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if I still need to acquire the Media replacement CD if I have a Windows XP Home CD in my posession? My only concern with using that particular version is that it only includes SP1, and I am not confident in creating a slipstreamed CD with SP2 on it.

You should be fine as long as its oem but don't put that machine live on the web without the windows firewall turned on and service pack 2 installed. You will likely get pwned by a worm or become part of someones botnet in a matter of minuets without at least sp2.