New MoBo issues

edited August 2007 in Hardware
I bought a new motherboard. It has 2 jumper setting for the BIOS. Configure and Normal. In configure mode, it boots straight to the bios so you can set it up. I set it up and it shows both of my HDD's and both cd drives. Then when you exit, it tells you to change the jumper settings to Normal and start the computer. I do this and when I do, it shows no HDD's or anything is detected (Primary channel: not found, Secondary channel: Not found). Then, it goes to windows did not shut down properaly and not matter what I chose, it flashes the windows start up screen for at the most half a second. Then I get a BSOD and stop error code 0x0000007b. I have reseated every connections, swapped cables, changed jumpers, configured the BIOS every possible way. I was trying to boot form disk for windows, but it wont detect those either, but like i said before, if you look in the BIOS, they are there. My new MoBo is an Intel 845PEBT2. I have a new p4 2.8 in it, 1gb of brand new memory. I am really running out of options to try. The only thing that i could think left is to replace the BIOS battery or maybe a PS, but the PS is pretty new too. Any guidance in the right direction would help a ton.

Thanks,

P<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

(edited for better clarification)<!-- / message -->

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    So, are you trying to use the same installation of Windows you were using on your old motherboard?
  • edited August 2007
    I sure am. Also, I dont know if you recall me earlier post but we all decided it was the MB and now i am having more problems.

Thanks,

P
    edited August 2007
    Okay, problem number one is that you cannot use one copy of Windows on two different motherboards. It simply will never work. Your only options are to either reformat the drive and install Windows cleanly (Strongly suggested), or perform a repair install.
  • edited August 2007
    How can I do that when I am not able to access any of my drives? Not even the CD or DVD drives are recognized.
    edited August 2007
    Are your hard drives and ROMs serial ATA? Also, is the configuration jumper truly necessary? Most BIOS simply require you to press a key on the keyboard to configure it. Using the jumper is only in case of emergency.
  • edited August 2007
    The hard drives are IDE. It does not require the jumper, that was just the first thing I did to get it set up. I can hit f2 in the normal position to access the BIOS. Right before that during start up it says they are not there, and I hit f2 and the BIOS shows them as there. Also, would using the same copy of windows keep it from even recognizing the HDD? It does not even make it to loading windows when they are not recognized.

Thanks,

P
    edited August 2007
    Okay, first thing I would do is disconnect everything except your hard drive. Make sure that the hard drive is jumpered as a master, not slave or cable select. I want to see if it's detected by itself. You can skip the setup jumper on the motherboard; hitting F2 will allow you to configure the BIOS as appropriate from here on out. However, I do suggest that you reset the BIOS on your computer to defaults before proceeding.
  • edited August 2007
    I have disconnected everything but the main HDD. During boot up, it still says Primary Channel: Drive Not Found. It then proceeds to the bios and is recognized there.
  • edited August 2007
    One other thing, after I reset the BIOS to default configuration, It no long recognizes it.