athlonxp 3200+ with NF7-s v2.0 trouble

edited August 2007 in Hardware
hi.
i'm having trouble running my cpu at it's proper speed. i bought the 3200+ a few months back second hand and whenever i select the 3200+ setting from the menu (i can also select 2500+ and user defined) my computer crashes after running random applications after anything between 10 minutes to an hour. i know the NF7-s v2.0 should be able to run this cpu no sweat. i have adequate cooling etc.
the system runs with minimum crashes when selecting user defined and setting to 188mhz X11. i believe this is between the 2500 & 3200 speeds.
when i set bios to optimal settings, the board selects 2500+ for the cpu. this leads me to think that the cpu is in fact a 2500+ overclocked with a different sticker on.
i ran memory and hardrive diagnostic tests and all came out fine. i ran seperate tests for each memory stick.
SYSTEM:
windows xp SP2
geforce 6600AGP 128mb
512mb corsair PC3200
512mb elixer PC3200
BIOS:
mem timings optimal
sys bios cachable - enabled
video ram cachable - enabled
fsb spread spectrum - 0.50% default
agp spread spectrum - 0.50% default

all other settings default

thanks you for any help and let me know if i've left out any important details

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    IF the mobo defaults to +2500 then that is what the chip really is. It looks like that 'second hand' was really an 'under handed deal'.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    If you can peel the sticker off the chip, it's a fake. If it's covered under a layer of lacquer on the chip, it's legit.