6600GT Probs with WoW

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Okay, I finally got the wireless card for my brother's pc, and a friend of mine gave him a 6600GT for free (256mb) and we are having a small problem. WoW will run at like 40-55 frames in the major cities, then all of a sudden it will bog down and go to like 6 frames for a couple seconds. The problem does not seem to coincide with any additions to textures/more players or any of the sort. Can anyone help me look at where to start. He has the newest drivers installed off the nvidia site this afternoon as well.

system specs:
AMD 3500+ @ 2.2ghz
Asus A8V-VM SE mainboard
1GB Ram
GeForce 6600GT

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Hrm that is interesting... could be lag spikes maybe... might try a constant ping "ping yahoo.com -t" in a command prompt and see if pings suddenly go crazy while your experiencing the trouble. You might wanna also watch CPU/Memory usage also and see if it's a certain program running in the background.
  • edited August 2007
    Problem is that the video lag occurs for literally 4 secs or so. I'm gonna run aquamark in a minute to see if it helps. Also, could it be a mainboard problem?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    You need more RAM, and you need to make sure the video card is set to do multisampling ONLY for textures.
  • edited August 2007
    I say pfft to more ram. My desktop has about the same specs and runs wow consistently at 50ish frames. How do I have the gfx card do the multisampling thing? The operating system on the pc is XP Pro btw.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    It'll be in the video card's advanced options when you click on the desktop and activate the nvidia menus.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What drivers are you running for the card? Also with WoQ and XP Serv Pk2 you should really get more ram... It will use more than the 600 possible MB you have available.. that is if your just running WoW and XP
  • edited August 2007
    Okay, here is what it does. I run around SW and get it to do it after some trying I get it to do it. It randomly drops it for a couple seconds still. At that time my latency is only 200ms, and my cpu is at about 45% and 25% of ram usage. Could this be a problem with my interface with my mobo?

Edit...I still don't want to buy any more ram because WoW still runs just fine on my PC, and I use a completely custom UI and I have never experienced these problems before.
  • edited August 2007
    I'm using bios version 5.43.02.73.00
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    lol no the driver version :) 158.16

right click desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced - > in there should be driver version

Also windows XP serv pk2 runs so much better with more than 1037MB of ram :) even a 256MB chip would help and based on your setup I am willing to bet you can get a 512MB chip for like $19
  • edited August 2007
    lol no the driver version :) 158.16

right click desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced - > in there should be driver version

Also windows XP serv pk2 runs so much better with more than 1037MB of ram :) even a 256MB chip would help and based on your setup I am willing to bet you can get a 512MB chip for like $19

Sorry about. The file should help. I just don't want to buy the ram because it runs fine on my pc, so I don't see why it should be a prob at all on his....I'm also gonna upgrade my bios on my mobo, because it might help from the update info on asus's site.
  • edited August 2007
    This is a load of @#$@#%@#%!!!!!!! I updated the bios and now the card runs at a beastly 2 frames prob per second. Throw the card on my PC and it runs fine. I wanna throw it.
  • edited August 2007
    Okay, before upgrading bios my aquamark score was 24k, now it's 18k, is there something in the settings I need to adust. The mobo has built in video btw, I'm just not using it.
  • edited August 2007
    So, I got desperate, and I took all the hardware out of my pc and put in the stuff from my bro's, except for the mobo and psu. It ran terrible like his did. I did the vice versa and his hardware ran great in my comp. I have concluded it is a setting in the bios. What kind of setting could be causing this (remember this has built in video as an option)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    did you disable the built-in video?
  • edited August 2007
    I thought it was, but I'll make sure. Any hints would be appreciated.
  • edited August 2007
    Okay, I made sure it was disabled, and WoW is running some now, but not consistently like it should still. Is my only option still to just get a new mobo, since his hardware worked fine on my pc?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    cambrose wrote:
    Okay, I made sure it was disabled, and WoW is running some now, but not consistently like it should still. Is my only option still to just get a new mobo, since his hardware worked fine on my pc?

Not nessesarily... he's not running the same exact software. Sure it might be the same OS and programs, but settings coule very well be different.

Is WoW running the same now as it was before the BIOS update? You could try to load Fail Safe Defaults, reboot, then load Optimal Settings and reboot and see how that goes, or maybe just do the failsafe settings and see how WoW runs.
  • edited August 2007
    I've tried all that stuff. I even took the "guts" out of my pc and ran it on his mobo, and it still screwed up like crazy. I went on Newegg and read some reviews about the mobo, and I'm not the only person experiencing this problem, which is very good.