wtf is this?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited August 2007 in Hardware
At work today when I was moving an older computer I noticed something strange....can anyone explain this ghetto-rigged computer? Not sure what the connection is for, but it is definitely awesome.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Well what are we looking at? Where at is this on the computer, I see what looks like a phone port(looks thin, but maybe ethernet?) Looks like something for audio... it really is ghetto rigged.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    I have no idea what it is for. I have never seen this kind of port before so I couldnt tell you what it is used for. I know I am stupid for doing this, especially being an electrical engineering major, but I touched the resistor and it was pretty warm, so its definitely being used for something.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What do the wires we see go to, they trail off the image... do you have more images? I am intrigued...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    the wires go into the wall :range:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    Not sure what the resistor is for but my guess is that it's a hack on for a VoIP box. Likely running asterisk on that machine and it's asking as his phone system.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    I've seen connections like that on machines controlling AC units or other 'manufacturing' type of equipment. Often they'll have screw terminals like that. Is it connected to the serial port of the machine?