TVs for Consoles

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Community
Well I went to Rent-A-Center today and they told me that we could rent normal sized TVs no problem, with 2 day advanced notice. he said around $250 for 5 for the weekend... I can't pay for it out of reg fees, so what do you guys think?

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Let the ones who wants to use consoles split that bill?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I thought I already volunteered Thrax to be the dedicated TV bringer?

All kidding aside though, I'm not a console gamer myself, so I like Mack's idea just fine!
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    The whole splitting the cost among the console gamers might not go so well since some people who might have planned on playing might not. I think we should just try and see if we can round up some TVs and use what we can get.

Norge
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Some people who hadn't planned on playing might yet play.

So, the cost-split isn't really fair.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Well, as I said before. I have a 27" that I will bring. I have a 36" that will cost a) A few people to move there and back (Its a BIATCH) and B) Guinness. I'd rather like to avoid spending 250 more dollars.
  • edited November 2003
    @Prime,

Lets get the total cost of everything else before we worry too much about the TVs. Also, did you tell them this is for a non-profit event? Might get the manager to eat some of the cost. Ham it up a bit if you have to.

@ everyone,

I think the cost splitting idea isn't very good at all. It would become a pain in the butt to track who paid what, etc.

Then there's the "fairness" issue. I for instance, may play for 5-10 minutes, when others could spend the majority of their time on them. Why should I pay the same as they have, when I used the consoles/TVs a fraction of the time they have? We could do a "pay-per-hour" thing, but that's not only the biggest b*tch of all, as nobody (at least not me) would really want to keep track of it.

I'd like to think everyone would have better (and more enjoyable) things to do than sit there with a stopwatch, timing each individual player.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I think there are enough local folks that 5 TVs can show up... heck, I'd bring mine from Cincy if we would have enough storage space in the car!
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    What about Projectors?

I know its a long reach, but if we could get a couple, that would be sweet! Screen size wouldn't be a factor, and if a couple people had them, they would be a lot easier to bring then a large tv.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I don't think we have the "wallspace" for projectors, to be honest
  • edited November 2003
    Doood! Did you tell them it's a non profit thing?
    edited November 2003
    hahaha yeah and then what? They'll say "Oh, what charitable organization? Can we see your 501(c)3?" pfff..
  • edited November 2003
    Noooooo. We don't have to be a charity to have a non-profit event.

Don't go "pfff"-ing at me, buster! :p
    edited November 2003
    pffffpffff double pffff!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My costs are already hitting the roof as it is and i'm trying like hell to get the total as low as possible. My flight trip only is over $800 and i will have to buy some hardware as well. I'm not trying to be cheap here, don't get me wrong, but i'm not going to play any consoles.
  • edited November 2003
    @Prime:

Well you might as WELL try it. Nothing to lose.

@Mac

I understand. IMO, it's not worth teh extra cost.

On the other hand, it's only an extra $6.50 per person (assuming all 40 pay)...
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited November 2003
    I think if we can find some local lenders, that'd be awesome.

otherwise, I can haul my very very small commodore monitor. I picked it up for $25.

but it's SMALL. Might be better off seeing if anyone has a in/out on their vid card or even VGA cables for their consoles.