Driver problem? mouse, hdd...

edited August 2007 in Hardware
To those who followed my last thread, I was having hdd problems, so bought a new one and reinstalled windows today. Though now, I've had a chunk of new problems and I've exhausted all of my ideas.

First, the 500GB hardrive I bought is only being detected as 125GB. Second, the computer didn't like the CD that came with my motherboard, so I couldn't install any of the drivers except for the network adapter one. I've had to attempt to get all drivers online.

So, I went on windows update and ran it a million times, updating everything possible. I also went on the intel website for the motherboard, got all drivers, chipset updates, bios updates, everything (and yes, for the correct motherboard). Went back to windows update, there were a few more things to get for my hardware, so I did that as well (there were four things- my monitor, my pci soundcard, and two other things that I didn't recognize).

After I ran this update, suddenly my mouse wouldn't work (I'm on a different comp right now). The cursor changes to the hourglass and other such icons accordingly, and the lights are certainly on, but it doesn't detect any movement. I went and tried a different mouse, same problem. Tried putting it into different USB slots, it does a brief 'hardware detected... ready to use' thing, but still no movement allowed.

Argh... to summarize:
1. HDD still only reads 125 GB instead of 500 GB.
2. Can't move the mouse (and through keyboard skill, I managed to get to the device manager, where it doesn't even have a 'mouse and other pointer devices' section, like the computer I'm on now.
3. There are still two other yellow question marks in 'other devices' in the device manager. One is a "PCI Device." The other, a "Universal Serial Bus Controller." Unable to find drivers for whatever they are, at least not through the CD that came with my motherboard, the drivers on the intel site, or drivers on windows update.

I also tried doing a rollback driver on the monitor after windows updated it, in case that was the problem. Mouse still doesn't move. I'm all out of ideas.
Edit: One more thing. I just went back to windows update and looked at past updates. The four things that I was installing at the time of the mouse failure was my monitor driver, soundcard driver, a keyboard driver, and modem driver. I tried rolling back and uninstalling each of them, but still the mouse won't move.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    Well, the 125GB (133 unformatted) is the theoretical limit of 32bit addressing. If you're using XP, then your board might not have 48bit addressing, which I've never heard of causing a problem... Or if you're using 2000, You might have to format the drive BEFORE you install the OS, with something like Partition Magic or something.
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, I'm using windows xp. Might I add that my hdd before this was 250GB, and it had no problem reading that.

It may also be worth mentioning that, for the mouse situation, if I go to control pannel, mouse, and the hardware tab, nothing is listed at all.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2007
    conkers wrote:
    Yes, I'm using windows xp. Might I add that my hdd before this was 250GB, and it had no problem reading that.

It may also be worth mentioning that, for the mouse situation, if I go to control pannel, mouse, and the hardware tab, nothing is listed at all.

Running original XP, SP1 or SP2?

I think SP1 added support for larger than 250GB drives.
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, as mentioned in the OP, I have every update that windows will give me, including SP2.
    edited August 2007
    What brand is the hard drive?
  • edited August 2007
    It is a Seagate barracuda. I'd check how much is allocated and unallocated, but without a mouse it is rather difficult to navigate around. The mouse problem is the real emergency here. :(
    edited August 2007
    What brand is the mouse?
  • edited August 2007
    That I'm not too sure about. It only says Advanced Optical Mouse. If I unplug it and put it into a new USB jack, it says found new hardware, USB Advanced Mouse, USB Human Interface Device (or something like that), and you can see it listed in the Human Interface section in device manager... but I can't see a model name or anything.
  • edited August 2007
    And I don't know if this helps, but some of the advanced buttons on the mouse work (like My Computer, Back and Forward for browsers).
    I just can't move or click.
  • edited August 2007
    After yet another fresh install of windows, I went through the driver installing process again one at a time, making system restores along the way. It was the keyboard software that windows suggested I download that screwed up the mouse.

As for the hard drive, it seems I need to make another partition for the remaining 340ish GB.

So after an entire day at this, all is well I think.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    conkers wrote:
    After yet another fresh install of windows, I went through the driver installing process again one at a time, making system restores along the way. It was the keyboard software that windows suggested I download that screwed up the mouse.

As for the hard drive, it seems I need to make another partition for the remaining 340ish GB.

So after an entire day at this, all is well I think.

If you want 1 partition for the full size of your drive there are tools you can download from Seagate that will allow you to do that. The downside is that you'll have to reinstall windows again.
  • edited August 2007
    Yea I was looking around at the possibilities, including installing windows with SP1 or 2 already integrated. I'm fine with having two partitions though :D
    edited August 2007
    The 340GB is pre-formatted, you actually see 316.65GB.