Peltier cooling problem

digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
edited August 2007 in Hardware
I run a 226 watt potted pelt on an AMD X2 4800+ and just recently took the waterblock off to clean my system and put everything back together. It all went back the same way I originally had it, but now my cpu core temps are up around 50C, but the water temp is ony 45C. Sounds to me like the pelt stopped working, but if it did, wouldn't that insulate the cpu and cause it to overheat? Does anybody have any ideas? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Try taking the pelt/waterblock off and run the pelt and cooling loop without running your system. Check and see how fast the side that contacts the processor cools down and how cold it seems to get. I't possible that you are just getting a bad mount on the processor. If the pelt stopped working completely you would quickly burn up your processor.
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited August 2007
    That's what I was thinking, I just haven't taken the block off yet. I'll give that a shot and post back.
    edited August 2007
    And it worked. Some of the Arctic Silver had actually solidified and the cold plate wasn't making good contact, so I used some alcohol and 320 grit sandpaper. Now my temps are back down in the teens.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Glad you got it sorted. AS5 is not the best choice for below ambient cooling as its performance degrades as temperature decreases. Take a look at Arctic Ceramique--worked well with my vapochill LS with evap temps at -51'C
    edited August 2007
    lemonlime wrote:
    Glad you got it sorted. AS5 is not the best choice for below ambient cooling as its performance degrades as temperature decreases. Take a look at Arctic Ceramique--worked well with my vapochill LS with evap temps at -51'C

Ceramique is what I'm using.
  • edited August 2007
    Do not try AS5 for your peltier setup either. AS5 might "foil", make a thin silver plating on the peltier element surface and become conductive. I had this happen with the earlier AS3 when I had my peltier setup running. You might try out the Zalman stuff for your setup as I've heard pretty good reports on it's performance with normal cooling setups and it might last better with a peltier setup than Ceramique.