Stuttering Problems

paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
edited July 2003 in Hardware
Im having a weird problem with my performance in 3dmark2k3 and various other games. In 3dmark2k3, I experience rythmic stuttering in all tests aside from the first one. THe graphics seem to pause and then pick up where they left off in 1 second intervals. I have also experienced this problem in Tiger Woods 2003. The wierdest part about this is the flawless performance in UT2k3; absolutely no stuttering.
I have ruled out overheating GPU as I have underclocked my 9700 pro and I have also reinstalled directx 9.0a. I am at a loss as to do what to do. Have any of you guys ( or gals ;) ) experienced this same deal, or do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    What is your agp apeture size in your bios? Is fast writes enabled? Sideband addressing enabled? What driver version are you running. Also list your hardware profile.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited June 2003
    Drivers: Catalyst 3.4
    AGP Apeture: 128 Megs
    Fast Writes: Enabled
    Sideband Addressing: ??? (no option in BIOS)

XP1700 @ 2.35 (203x11.5)
    OCZ PC2700 EL
    NF7-s Rev 2.0 (newest Bios - dont know ver. #)
    Radeon 9700 Pro

////edit////
    Well, I turned off fast writes and then popped em back on after a reboot or two and the problem seems to have rectified itself. :confused: Well, as long as it works.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    It doesn't seem that your problem is in your hardware setup. Did you have the same problem with earlier drivers?

Do you have your v-sync enabled as well? I am starting to run out of things that could cause this. Hopefully someone else pops in here with more knowledge.

Edit://Wierd indeed! Well as long as it is fixed. Hopefully permanently.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    ...programs/services running in the background. I've seen conflicts with other programs cause this, say a CPU temperature monitor, or something else which constantly wants to update itself. You might try stopping/shutting down all non-essentials services and programs and try again. If that fixes the problem, just re-enable them one-by-one until you find the stinker.

What MB/chipset do you have? Have you checked your PCI Latency settings?

Prof
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    profdlp:
    Turns out you were right about this one. ;)
    I had DuMeter (bandwidth monitor) running at the time I was experiencing the stuttering problems. I shut it down and *poof*, the jerkiness went away. Thanks again for the help peeps.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    another problem solved thanks to....
    short-media...