Slaved mirrored raid disk

edited August 2007 in Hardware
Can you take a disk from a mirrored array, slave it on another machine and view the data? I need to do this to recover some data as I cannot access the OS or recover the OS?

Thanks

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    No. The other machine wouldn't be able to see it and would just tell you that the disk needs to be prepared before it can do anything with it.

There may be some software utils to do that, but I'm not sure of any myself.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    Software raid= Yes

Hardware software raid (The ones on your motherboard)= probably not.

hardware based raid (The expensive high preforming $300+ solutions)= no idea

I use software raid on all my linux servers for easy data recovery in the event of a failure.

Your best bet is just to throw a copy of knoppix in the machine that the hard-drive is in and see if you can access it.
    If you can then copy the files that you want over a network using smb (Window file sharing) or NFS. To do this open up a new konquorer window (The kde file/web browser) And type in smb://iphere/sharehere or nfs://iphere/sharehere.

Linux's implementation of ntfs ignores many of ntfs's features so even with a corrupt partition you can still sometimes access data.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    ????? You should be able to always put a raid-1 mirrored disk.... be it scsi or ide..... on another machine and see it just fine.

You mentioned in your OTHER thread (rolls eyes....) that the OS was corrupt. So the disk would need to have chkdsk or something run on it to clean the filesystem but...... You can "SEE" a disk of almost anytype when moved from a raid-1. Even a hardware raid-1 disk

I would probably recomend what Leo in your OTHER thread (wink) said and just repair the windows install.

This isnt as bad as you think. Your worried as you have not messed with the raid before. Get your floppy with the raid drivers... The XP Cd and we will have ya through this whole mess in 40 minutes if you hurry! (smile)

Cheers

Tex
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    No. The other machine wouldn't be able to see it and would just tell you that the disk needs to be prepared before it can do anything with it.
    QUOTE]

Oh really??? LOL !!! Yes it will see that drive fine...... Thats why you use raid-1.... (rolls eyes.....)

This is raid-1 not raid-5 or raid-0 he is talking about. Just unplug it and make it a slave to recover the data....

But AGAIN as LEO said.... Just run a windows xp recovery. It will fix it much faster then you can "recover" the data.... install that spare drive..... get the data from there etc....

If you do this right your done in 40 minutes probably. I mean unless your charging $70 an hour and just trying to maximize the profit we can probably have you fixed and out the door in time for happy hour... (grin)

Cowboy
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    Tex wrote:
    ????? You should be able to always put a raid-1 mirrored disk.... be it scsi or ide..... on another machine and see it just fine.

You mentioned in your OTHER thread (rolls eyes....) that the OS was corrupt. So the disk would need to have chkdsk or something run on it to clean the filesystem but...... You can "SEE" a disk of almost anytype when moved from a raid-1. Even a hardware raid-1 disk

I would probably recomend what Leo in your OTHER thread (wink) said and just repair the windows install.

This isnt as bad as you think. Your worried as you have not messed with the raid before. Get your floppy with the raid drivers... The XP Cd and we will have ya through this whole mess in 40 minutes if you hurry! (smile)

Cheers

Tex
    I had a feeling the person who posted above me was wrong.. But ive only used software raid for raid 1 and 5.

For raid 0 I know hes correct (First hand experience)
  • edited August 2007
    Thanks everyone, its much appreciated!!!!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    Yeah my bad, had to much going on. You can pull a raid 1 apart and hook it up. I'm just to used to dealing with raid 0/5 issues people have that I forgot about how pure it is with raid 1.