F'ed Up Hard Drive

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited September 2007 in Hardware
So I pulled the plug on my laptop before it had finished shutting down and it no longer boots.

I've tried repairing it using my windows disk but it doesnt recognize any XP install. I tried your 8 command repair guide but that comes up with 'Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows install."

It does recognize both partitions on the drive during XP setup where it asks which partition you want to install XP onto but it doesnt recognize that there is XP on C: or during the recovery console.

I've tried using my ATA 2.5" ->USB adapter to at least get the data off as I dont give a crap about the OS, just the data. The first time I plugged it in I was able to access the D: partition but not the C: partition. Now when I plug it into another computer it no longer recognizes that something was plugged in.

Is there a bootable version of TestDisk or something like it to try and repair the table or whatever is stopping it from booting?

One thing that gets me is that it will start to boot in safemode, IE it loads files, and then blue screens like it knows where files are and such but it wont even recognize the D: partition anymore. It could possibly be the adapter not working anymore, not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    If it see's the partitions they need cleaned.

If it will not let you repai its because it can not see boot.ini. Thats what it looks for... (usually because you need to get in using repair console and clean up thss ntfs filesystems.)

Cheers

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    BOOTCFG /REBUILD doesnt work. Its part of the 8 command repair guide that Thrax made but it wont work.
    edited September 2007
    that has nothing to do with cleaning the file system??

Cowboy
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I have been in situations where I could see the partition table and the data on a drive, but windows refused to see the existing installation until after I had run chkdsk to repair the file system.
    edited September 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    I have been in situations where I could see the partition table and the data on a drive, but windows refused to see the existing installation until after I had run chkdsk to repair the file system.

It will only repair if it can read the boot.ini.

This is what you use recovery console for.....

good answer

Cowboy
    edited September 2007
    Yeah too bad the command before BOOTCFG /REBUILD is DEL BOOT.INI....

And I cant get chkdsk to work. It cant find it on the DVD with XP on it or the HDD.
    edited September 2007
    if possible, attach the HDD to a working PC via a USB adapter/enclosure and run chkdsk from there. Or just open up the case and slave it.
    edited September 2007
    Any PC I attach it to does not even realize I plugged something in. My desktop will not even boot with the damn thing attached.
    edited September 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Any PC I attach it to does not even realize I plugged something in. My desktop will not even boot with the damn thing attached.

bootup and try attaching it then... So many of these stinking MB's these
    days rearrange the boot order in the bios or something when you attach new drives it drives me crazy.

Boot up and THEN try it.

Cheers

Cowboy
    edited September 2007
    Ok...let me try this again. Windows will NOT Fing see the damn drive. Boot first, boot last it doesnt Fing matter.
    edited September 2007
    i would try slaving it. I have a drive that passes all diagnostic tests and works great internally, but refuses to work in just about any enclosure/adapter.
    edited September 2007
    Slaving it?
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, sorry. By slaving it I mean to attach it internally to a working computer. In your case it would require a 3.5" to 2.5" ATA adapter so you could attach it inside a desktop PC.

Also, does the 2.5" to USB adapter that you are using have it's own power supply or does it require the drive to pull all of it's power thru USB? If it has it's own power supply, use it. Some USB ports won't supply enough power.
    edited September 2007
    Ah, Dont have a 2.5->3.5 adapter, only the USB with no external PSU. Whether or not the drive can be accessed or not it still spins when plugged into the USB port.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I've seen SpinRite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm) do some phenomenal things with hard drives, such as bringing them back from the dead. It's pricey, but Steve (Great podcast called Security Now) has a satisfaction guarantee.