The Thermaltake Toughpower and YAD.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Okay. Saturday my Aspire 500W decided that 430W was too much, and decided to drop my machine out of the game which flung me into a world of pissed off I have never been in before. Well, it was rather convenient for me, even though it hurt my pocketbook by 183.48. The Thermaltake Toughpower was the only real choice on the shelf since I had an Ultra 550W for five days, and I wouldn't want another one even if it was free.

The weight of the box made me think this thing was A: Modular and B: Gargantuan. Lucky for me, it's not either of those. 700W with a 12V combined of 72A. Crossfire Certified, buncha other useless jargle on the box. 14Cm fan, which I would've preferred two 8cm's, but whatever. The air coming out of it's rather cool so who cares. Prime was right when he said there was probably nothing wrong with my video card. It wasn't getting enough power. I can now play Garry's Mod all day, just not on my favorite RP server, because I still need more memory for the 390MB map we use. Encoding DVD's now takes half the time, and above all, it's silent in here now, but I'm rambling.

Gloss black finish clashes with my powder silver case, but I'm not gonna keep this case for much longer as my old ATX desktop is coming back to me, but I'll have to add more hard drive mounts in it since it only has two, and I'm back up to four. Nice variety of power, six of each 4 pin molex and sata. Black mesh sleeved cables that are quite flexible. Even came with a condom, why I don't know. This thing feels too heavy to put in a case that doesn't have power supply support rails, which mine have, so it won't vibrate.

YAD gives this black box a 4.5 of 5 for ease of deployment, 4.0 for design; biggest hit on it is the fact that the 8 pin and 4 pin aren't separate but the cables are good and long. I'd post pictures, but my camera swims in Davey Jones' locker.