Quad Core Question

BoneBone Canadia
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I have a quad core intel q 6600 (2.4ghz), if I play an older game that does not support multi-core does that mean it sees it as me just have a 2.4ghz processor.

what I mean is, if there is an older game which requires a 2.8ghz processor and doesnt support multicore.. can I play that game.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Bone wrote:
    I have a quad core intel q 6600 (2.4ghz), if I play an older game that does not support multi-core does that mean it sees it as me just have a 2.4ghz processor.

what I mean is, if there is an older game which requires a 2.8ghz processor and doesnt support multicore.. can I play that game.

What is the game?

Depends on the age of the game- but chances are you can anyhow since most games heavily rely on the video card GPU instead of your processor.

My bet is a spec like that was issued back in the Pentium 4/ Athalon 64 X1 days. Your quad is based on a technology that computes FAR more efficiently than those cores ... on a core-to-core basis.

Regardless, a 2.8GHz CPU spec seems both high and odd.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    i was just using a hypothetical situation, but I have definetly seen games with a minimum of like 2.6 ghz, so does that mean i couldnt run it on my quad if it doesnt support multi core.

and in the coming years how will I figure out requrements on game boxes if it doesnt even go by the clock speed of the processor anymore.. so confusing now a days :-(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    That CPU can play any game released, or coming in the next two years.

Ignore the box.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    and is that playing games at high settings all the way to 2009?

I am concerned since I only have 2gb of ram right now, and I have a 8800 gtx 768mb .. I know thats a top of the line video card right now but will that be a crappy card in 6 months times. Im curious how long my new computer is going to satisfy games on high settings.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Bone wrote:
    and is that playing games at high settings all the way to 2009?

I am concerned since I only have 2gb of ram right now, and I have a 8800 gtx 768mb .. I know thats a top of the line video card right now but will that be a crappy card in 6 months times. Im curious how long my new computer is going to satisfy games on high settings.

Games and their special settings will have FAR higher requirements of your video card than your CPU. Yes, your CPU should not have issues by then, if not beyond.

And your video card probably has some decent legs too- but DX10 games are just starting to unfurl.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    how long do you think till I should have to upgrade my ram, I am hoping atleast a year.. but If it is sooner than I guess I have no choice.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    2 years. Big advancements until 2009 will come in the form of GPU enhancements.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Yes, it will run your game on a single core just fine! As Qeldroma said, some game´s hardware requirements are based on a P4 based platform. Your Quad at 2.4Ghz has the same power (or more) than a P4 @ 4Ghz so you will be MORE than fine!

Oh and if you´d like, drop by by the Folding@Home subforum and take advantage of that monster of CPU you have for a good cause! ;)
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    my ram is 667mhz which is only thing that worries me that I may have to dish out and buy more ram alot sooner.... do you think I will have to upgrade ram really soon.

also, just because short media has been so helpful to me, I will join in on the folding action, just for you ultra nexus ;-)
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Not really, there is not much difference in performance by going from 667 to 800Mhz for an instance. Anyway, it also depends on what modules you have, if it does 667Mhz at CAS 4-4-4-12 I bet It can do 800Mhz @ 5-5-5-15 with no problem at all!

Anyway, with a Quad processor it doesnt matter much, your setup already rocks!

BTW, Thank you! Icrontic/SM is much gratefull for your contribution! :D