Problem after Cloning entire drive

edited September 2007 in Hardware
Hey everyone,

Looks like I've got another one for you all. I recently built a desktop and cloned my laptop hard drive to the desktop hard drive. But now I've hit a wall. I've actually tried two cloning programs (Miray's HDClone and XXClone). **Sidenote** XXClone is faster and it allowed me to set the drive to bootable and it allows cloning through USB. It had 3 options:
1)Write MBR (Master Boot Record?)
2)Write Boot Sector
3)Write Boot.ini
I selected all of them. And in both instances the programs told me that the operation was a complete success with no noted errors (but I guess there's no real way to tell). Grrrr . . . their sites and screen shots make it look sooo simple.

When I boot it, up the screen will briefly (for a fraction of a second) display the windows XP loading screen and then it will restart itself. And it always gives me the option of running in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, and normal. Here is what I've tried (and obviously none of it has worked):
1)ran chkdsk - everything looked good
2)ran chkdsk /r - didn't do much.
3)I went through the whole kernel32.dll process
(ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old
map
expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_
[got a message confirming expansion]
exit)
That still didn't do anything.
4)tried to boot in safe mode
When I tried to boot in safe mode, XP would hang up on agp440.sys and eventually restart itself. So . . .
5)I disabled agp440.sys
Now XP gets hung up on mup.sys and XP eventually restarts itself.

I haven't tried to disable mup.sys because I'm way too wiped out right now. I don't even know what mup.sys is. And I have a feeling that after mup.sys is disabled XP will get hung up on something else . . . but I guess I'll give it a shot later.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You can't go and completely change platforms on Windows XP like that without some additional work.

You need to boot off of the Windows XP CD and do a repair install, that should get you up and running to the point where you can then install drivers, etc.
  • edited September 2007
    Ahhhh that did it. Now all I have to do is re-activate Office and some other stuff.

Thanks for the info.