Problem during basic reformat

edited September 2007 in Hardware
My brothers pc was having constant crashes, software issues and generally not co-operating so after 2 weeks of putting up with it i decided to reformat, problem was, the floppy drive for detecting the hard-drive was lost (Press F6 on blue windows screen)

i ventured onto the MSI website in hope of finding the right files and thought i had, upon 'installing' the setup crashed and now when just trying to boot to windows it blue screens (the bad blue screen :sad2: ) and i cant seem to get around it. i can however boot from a windows CD to reinstall.

So basically, i cant find the right boot floppy for detecting the SATA hard drive.

Motherboard: MSI K8 754 K8M800
Hard drive: SATA (sorry i cant remember the brand)
Windows XP

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    You need a floppy drive to install the sata drivers since XP doesn't support SATA chipsets since it's older than sata. Or what you could do is something I've never gotten to work. Use your XP disc with Nlite and make a new disc with the drivers for sata bound to it. There's an Nlite tutorial on the forums.
  • edited September 2007
    as i said, i cant find the correct drivers for the floppy, the MSI website provide ones which killed my pc
    edited September 2007
    Well, I don't know if this is widely known, but I've never gone to a manufacturer's site for anything other than bioses. I always go to the chipset manufacturer's site since the manufacturer really never updates their site and basically leaves you on your own. You need the 4-in-1 suite from Via, since the K8M800 series is a via chipset.
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2 is what you need fella.
  • edited September 2007
    pardon my ignorance, but all of those links lead to to files of size 5mb+ which is not anything near what i need to put on a floppy disk to detect the hard drive during installation
    edited September 2007
    It's alright man. Those are whole packages. You only need a few files out of them. So you get the right package for your chipset which is the Hyperion Pro, and extract it somewhere. If it's an EXE still, and you have WINRAR installed, you can extract it with a rightclick. You need the files from the ide/sata folder. I don't run via, but I'll do you a favor. I'll provide you the files you need.
    Extract me on a floppy.
  • edited September 2007
    HUGE thanks man, will give it a try tomorrow morning, my brother will send his thanks too i bet :bigggrin: i'll report back later
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, setting up raid's a bitch sometimes. Especially if you have a hybrid chipset like me. I have the NF4x and the NF500 on the same board. GREAT performance, but setting up my raid is like trying to fuse a star with your bare hands. No problem.
  • edited September 2007
    Installed first time, no problems whatsoever,

huge thanks man, i cant tell you how miserable my brother has been the past few days :P

now... the epic task of finding all his drivers and re-installing all his software.

I'll be back here if i ever have another problem, props Amish.
    edited September 2007
    Chipset drivers can be found here if it's normal XP, If not, use the link I gave you earlier to navigate the site.