Cannot Delete File 49.6GB

edited September 2007 in Hardware
The name of the files is: ¡àr╣┼P3╖.▄∩ I cannot rename it and it is taking up 49.6GB somehow.

The message reads "The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    And then when you've done that, check your computer thoroughly for spyware, trojans, rootkits, and virii. Also, make sure you install all the latest patches - files like that are generally signs of compromise.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2007
    Also run chkdsk /r

Start>Run>cmd>chkdsk /r
  • edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:

I tried DFX but they were unable to get the program to work on my computer. The file is a recursive file. What should I do?

Thanks for the help
  • edited September 2007
    I have two undeletable folders (DFXP has called them recursive folders) that contain multiple undeletable folders.

Having been refunded for not being able to install DFXP, what is the best way to delete these two folders?
    edited September 2007
    I've been through this, and in the end I've backed up and reformatted my drive.
  • edited September 2007
    I've been through this, and in the end I've backed up and reformatted my drive.

Do you know of any alternative?

I received this message from DFXP

A recursive folder is not a undeletable folder, it just means that the folder is not empty - it contains file and/or other folders. A file may be undeletable for multiple reasons. Permissions and related issues can be resolved by taking ownership of the file and then trying again.

If the folder name consists of reserved identifiers (like COM2, NUL, LPT1, LPN, etc.) you need a special utility to delete them - Windows Explorer will not be able to handle it. The same thing goes for paths that are greater than ~260 characters in length.
  • edited September 2007
    My reply to the DFXP message was:

How do I take ownership of a file?

How do I find out if the file has reserved identities?
    edited September 2007
    Read my experiences with tagged files. I have no answers other than "reformat". Sorry :(
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I once had something similar with a file downloaded through P2P. I couldn't delete it through explorer, neither could I rename it. I had to go through the P2P program, rename it and then delete it in the program. I use Ares, for information.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2007
    I've had a similar thing happen to me before - my solution (from memory) is as follows.

Boot up into a modern linux distro mount the drive. chmod -R 777 the file then chown -R root:root the file then rm -R it. Pray for the best.
  • edited September 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    I've had a similar thing happen to me before - my solution (from memory) is as follows.

Boot up into a modern linux distro mount the drive. chmod -R 777 the file then chown -R root:root the file then rm -R it. Pray for the best.

I have no idea what any of this means.
  • edited September 2007
    kryyst wrote:

I use windows and no nothing about linux. Should I still use linux distro? Where should I get it from?
    edited September 2007
    If you know nothing about linux, I wouldn't try to follow my approach. You could potentially do a lot more damage.

But here goes. Get a live linux distorbution, I personally recommend Ubuntu but knoppix is also good. A live version means the entire OS runs from the CD and not off the harddrive.

On the desktop you'll have the ability to mount your existing windows harddrive and browse it in a linux file system, similar to Windows Explorer. You find the file you want select it and delete it. If that doesn't work that's when you try modifying the permissions on it and try deleting it again.
  • edited September 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    If you know nothing about linux, I wouldn't try to follow my approach. You could potentially do a lot more damage.

But here goes. Get a live linux distorbution, I personally recommend Ubuntu but knoppix is also good. A live version means the entire OS runs from the CD and not off the harddrive.

On the desktop you'll have the ability to mount your existing windows harddrive and browse it in a linux file system, similar to Windows Explorer. You find the file you want select it and delete it. If that doesn't work that's when you try modifying the permissions on it and try deleting it again.

Given that I don't know much about Linux, who would be the best to hire to fix the problem? How much do you think it would cost?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    It'll be fine. You can't really break anything if you know the name of the file.
    edited September 2007
    Given that I don't know much about Linux, who would be the best to hire to fix the problem? How much do you think it would cost?

I wouldn't hire anyone. But if I was looking, I'd look to a friend, co-worker that is a hacker type that dabbles in linux. Explain the concept to them and if you see the light bulb go on in their eyes you should be safe. Hiring someone to do it wouldn't be worth the trouble but, I'd look in your local paper want ads for the come to your house $34hr tech dorks.

Taking it into most computer stores they'll just tell you it can't be fixed and they'll format your drive.