Still Life and Vista

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Gaming
I can't get Still Life to run on Vista :mad:

I was running the game just fine on XP. Since upgrading to Vista the screen goes black when I click on the play icon and the HDD just spins. In the past the Microids splash screen used to come up and then the game started.

First Vista told me I needed updated Starforce drivers, so I updated those. Still nothing. Then I tried playing with the no-cd patch and it does exactly the same thing. Is there a fix for this or is this a typical Vista problem that may or may not get sorted with SP1?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Did you try compatibility mode?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited September 2007
    You could try right clicking on your game's shortcut, go to properties, go to compatibility, check the box that says "run this in compatibility for" and select Windows XP SP2. Click Apply, try running it. If it still doesn't run, its possible the game can't be played on vista, or there's not enough ram on your m/board, I would suggest at least 2gb. Vista uses alot of ram

You could also try installing both Vista & Windows XP, on seperate partitions. Having dual boot you can then use XP for games that won't work in Vista.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Did you try compatibility mode?

That's one of the first things I tried. Does exactly the same thing.
    I read somewhere on one of the IC threads that loading games in the My Documents folder bypasses the UAC so I'm going to try that as a last resort.
    Although the UAC isn't turned on, on my computer anyway, so I don't know if that's going to make any difference.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited September 2007
    On the still life forum some members have got it running through compatibility mode - win98
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    On the still life forum some members have got it running through compatibility mode - win98

It worked!!! Thanks Kentigern :thumbsup: