PC freezes and won't reboot

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I am stuck on this one and need some guidance. I have a P4, WinXP machine with an Asus P4P800SE mobo, 2.8C processor stock, 1 gb of Corsair XMS PC3200, an 80gig WD HD, FD and two opticals: a Lite-on CDRW and an LG DVD ROM. All drives are IDE. When a disk is placed in either the CDRW or the DVD, the PC freezes and has to be hard rebooted. However, it won't boot to Windows after that. It displays the ASUS splash screen with a notation to press DEL to enter setup. It stays frozen at that point and won't respond. It remains that way even after a cold reboot though after a time or two I can get in the BIOS. I replaced the CMOS battery when it did this last week but obviously, that wasn't the fix. I also used a simple power supply tester and the PS was read as good to go. Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated. THX!

P.S. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I just recently installed a modem in this box. Does this sound like the mobo is going down?

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Problem solved! It was the modem install. Apparently the install resulted in a conflict of resources causing the freezing. Changed the modem to a different PCI slot and problem is gone.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    What the hell... This is the second time I've seen that copypasta. Dr.Thrax, can we do something about this?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited September 2007
    Seconded - all of his posts say roughly the same thing

The above was directed at a rogue poster who has since been removed

Apoligises to adarryl
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Dr. Thrax is just a mod and has no power outside of his defined domains.

However, as to the original post, that's f'ing weird.
    edited September 2007
    I don't want you to ban him, I want you to spray him down with your toxin troopers, or use a scudstorm.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    WTF! Now that the bogus reply from that A**HOLE who crapped my thread has been deleted, it looks like all of your remarks are directed at me and NOT HIM!! WTH?!

As far as my original post goes, I am still having the problem. Once a week or more, the PC fails to boot up and halts on the ASUS AI screen saying, "Overclocking failed; press DEL to enter setup." ONLY the sys is NOT overclocked. If I press DEL, the sys freezes and does nothing. I can reset the CMOS, reboot, enter settings but then the cycle starts again in a few days. A google search suggest others who have had this issue believe it to be the power supply. WTH? I haven't changed it out but suppose I will in the next few days. In the mean time, if any of you have any ideas here, I am all ears.

BTW, it would sure clean up this thread if a mod would enter something here that makes it clear that the other posters (YAD, Kentigern and Thrax) are not directing their remarks to me but to the ninnyhammer who crapped my thread in the first place!!!
    edited September 2007
    Well, you got any spare 3032's lying around? the battery might be a little on the dead side, or you might have a bad bios. Have you tried getting the newest one for your board?
    edited September 2007
    Well, if you had read my original post, you would know I already changed the battery. Also, there has been no change in the BIOS. It is as it has been with the PC working flawlessly until just now.
    edited September 2007
    Are the cd/dvd drives on the same cable to the board.
    edited September 2007
    Yes, the CDRW is 2ndary master and the DVDROM is slaved to it in the BIOS and by jumpers on the same IDE cable.
    edited September 2007
    Ideas to try (if you haven't already done so :) )
    Do you have a spare cable you can swop with - just in case its the cable.
    Try taking one drive off (then swapping) to see if one of the drives is the problem.
    Make sure the cable hasn't come loose from the board
    edited September 2007
    I inspected the cable connections when the problem first appeared, but found nothing amiss. However, I did not replace the cable so I will add that to my list of things to try. Thx.
    edited September 2007
    Checked power supply for voltage stability and found all voltages solid and right on spec so have written that off as a possibility. Replaced IDE cable for DVDROM and CDRW though original showed no obvious damage/wear. Reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS over a prolonged period (20' instead of 10") and loaded defaults. All is stable for now. However, ASUS Probe and Lavalys show the cpu fsb at 200.34 instead of 200 which is the default. As a result, system shows as ever so slightly overclocked at 2804 instead of 2800. BIOS shows fsb at 200 even. I don't know where this minor variance is coming from or even if it is significant. Thoughts?