Monitor clicks into standby mode when RS232 <> TTL cable connected

edited September 2007 in Hardware
Anyone know why my dell p1110 monitor turns off when I connect a RS232 <> TTL cable to the four pin header... I'm trying to use windas to fix the oh-so common brightness issue these monitors have and can't get very far without being able to connect the cable and view the screen at the same time. It doesn't fully turn off, but goes blank and the green light turns amber. Any suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Know what I never understood? Why you don't turn down the brightness... I mean call me a fool, but wouldn't that make it less bright?
  • edited September 2007
    Know what I never understood? Why you don't turn down the brightness... I mean call me a fool, but wouldn't that make it less bright?

Nah, you don't understand. The brightness is at 0, and the contrast at 100. This kind of monitor has problems like this sometimes, and there is software to fix it.. Windas. But I can't make windas work without the rs232 <> TTL cable attached to the PC and the monitor. When I connect it to the monitor, it clicks into standby mode.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    AH! I get it now. Sorry. I just thought that it seemed kinda dumb to use an external programmer to turn down the brightness. It might have to go into standby to allow you to write to the firmware.
  • edited September 2007
    Yea, I've spent the past two weeks combing the internet for anyone who has had this problem. I've seen tons of forums entries and blogs, etc, which explain how to use windas, and praise how great it is for fixing monitors with issues, but have only found one other instance where this has been a problem for someone. I emailed the guy, but no response, and his post didn't explain how he got around the problem, if he ever did. It's getting really frustrating at this point! I can just feel that I'm a few steps away from having a normal looking monitor, if only it would let me attach a cable to the four pin header without it clicking into power-save, or stand-by mode, or whatever it's doing.