Team Icrontic F@H on Facebook???

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
I've been thinking about how to boost participation and was thinking facebook as a means. Think what you will of it, I have an account and seemingly so does 70% of the people I grew up with and I'm sure many of you here may have an account as well.

Now then, anybody who knows how to do it can write their own appz which people can add to their profiles. If we could come up with a sexy f@h ad plug-in that can effectively communicate to people why they should start doing this, then we have great potential in expanding our user base. Start a group, spam all your friends.....

I have no idea the undertaking for the coding but am more then willing to put the effort into getting it off the ground.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I lack the expertise and knowledge, but I think it's a great idea!
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a good idea; would put the word out there about Icrontic and Team93/Fold@Home. Maybe even creating a Icrontic Facebook page with all the members as friends(or whatever is used) with folding stats, links to IC articles and the site itself(including the forum). Just some thoughts! :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Not a big Facebook guy, but would join if the team had one :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I've thought about this recently. I went and registered the necessary things on Facebook, downloaded documentation, and I think it's within my capabilities. However, I have 2 major coding projects to do before that on the site first, and the scope of this project (at least, if you want it to be more than "here are my stats") is pretty intense. Unless someone else does it first, don't expect it before January :-/
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Geez, January, like hurry up Keebs! :p

J/K, glad you guys think it's a good idea. I'm sure at the very minimum, I could get a dozen people to participate. I don't have anything to do tonight after work so I think I'll download the docs and see what we're faced with.

Let us know if you have skills and want to help out with this. :)
    edited September 2007
    Basically... if you can program a decent PHP/MySQL app with Ajax frontend, you should be able to tackle this. There are also unofficial downloads for every other web scripting language too.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Basically... if you can program a decent PHP/MySQL app with Ajax frontend, you should be able to tackle this. There are also unofficial downloads for every other web scripting language too.

I love it when he speaks dirty!:bigggrin:
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a Facebook? :confused:
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited September 2007
    It's like..a myspace (you know what that is right? :eek: ) for college students/adults, and the software expansions have really exploded since I've joined.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Oh that! lol :D

If it gets the team more people to join, then its sure a great idea... ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I haven't used Facebook and avoid MySpace like the plague. I'm all about LinkedIn Professional Social Networking (LinkedIn). I have no problems with the Facebook idea. I'll have to look into Facebook and maybe I'll join and add my name to the list!!! ;)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    edited September 2007
    Yup, it's as good a time as any to get a Facebook profile and add it to your profile here! I expect Icrontic to be making use of it in the future.

Spike: good find. That's the kind of minimum-functionality plugin I woundn't bother with though... just displaying info isn't much fun, and Facebook is set to start ranking apps by interactivity instead of # of installations. :)
    edited September 2007
    He will be improving it though, hopefully He may add more interactivity as it develops.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    He will be improving it though, hopefully He may add more interactivity as it develops.

I want bigger and better then anyone else's and it shall be Icrontic built.

I've been wading through it now for a bit but I'm dealing with a parse error. The server is using PHP4 and I need PHP5.

Hey Brian, it's on sarcnet server, some help with that? :) I could try the .htaccess workaround but it still may not work properly.
    edited September 2007
    TBonZ wrote:
    I want bigger and better then anyone else's and it shall be Icrontic built.

I've been wading through it now for a bit but I'm dealing with a parse error. The server is using PHP4 and I need PHP5.

Hey Brian, it's on sarcnet server, some help with that? :) I could try the .htaccess workaround but it still may not work properly.
    Excellent ambition is good and Icrontic branding is better.:bigggrin:
    edited September 2007
    TBonZ wrote:
    Geez, January, like hurry up Keebs!
    If you saw my to-do list, you'd think January was overly-optimistic :crazy:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    /gives Keebs some Red Bull. :) haha j/k