SATA external enclosure woes

edited September 2007 in Hardware
Ok just let me start off. I bought a WD 320GB SATA HDD along with a SATA External enclosure. I thought I should finally make the plunge and get an external backup drive since my back up computer died.

I plug the drive into the enclosure and plug it into my computer. It detects it... YAY

Then using diskmgmt.msc I create a partition and format. The format is going pretty fast... odd but YAY. As soon as the format hits 100% It says that I cannot format.

Ok so I take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it directly to my computer and it still detects it in My Computer. I format it with NTFS and takes about 45 mins.... ok a little longer than expected.

Take the drive out and put it back in the enclosure. Everything is working well... or so I thought.

I then tried to transfer about 25 gigs (in some files ranging between 6.5gigs and 9 gigs). It seems to be working... slowly but working none the less. Then it freezes up my comp until I power down the enclosure. So then I try putting some smaller files on it... no problem. Then try to put the 6.5 gig file on it alone... same thing.

So then I thought that I was only being impatient and before I went to bed, I tried transferring the 6 gig file again. When I woke up, I found that not only the drive's lights aren't doing anything but my computer is completely frozen. I restart it and then power up the enclosure and it says "New USB device found" even though I haven't changed any connections. Also, in my computer it shows the drive as RAW file format and 0 bytes, like it needs to be formatted. In diskmgmt.msc it doesn't even show up.

Any ideas?

I kind of wanted an external for back up. I dont want to have to hook it up internally every week when I want to back up.

EDIT: I turned the drive back on and it works but it did not fully transfer the 6 gig file >.<

Comments

• WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Are you running Vista?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Is the encloser USB 2.0? if so is your USB ports 2.0?

I have 6 external HD enclosures all SATA based and all work great with XP and Vista.
  • edited September 2007
    I am using Windows XP Pro, the enclosure is USB 2.0, and the ports (I tried different ones) are all USB 2.0. I just dont get it...

My girlfriend's IDE enclosure using USB 1.1 works great... and now she is making fun of me!
    edited September 2007
    It could just be the Hard drive... or even a faulty enclosure. You said you tried the HD in your system and it worked great right? if thats the case sings point to a faulty interface on the enclosure.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a ****ty enclosure.
  • edited September 2007
    I think it worked fine internally. All I did was format it. When I get home tonight I'll test it internally and if it works, I'll RMA my enclosure
    edited September 2007
    TBH I own 2 of that same enclosure... might just be a bad unit, mine runs great...