screech!

edited September 2007 in Hardware
hi,my hard drive has started to make the famous screeching noise.i can`t understans HOW it is doing it because it doesn`t sound like a vibration or mechanical noise.it actually sounds like a synthesised noisethe noise comes through the speakers when on but also from the drive when they are off!i didn`t think the drive had any way of producing noise.everything works ok but i`m worried something is going to blow!the screeching comes intermittently and can last between 1 and 5 seconds at a time.please help me as i am a but of a luddite and would rather not have to buy a new drive just yet!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Well if the drive is making a noise that is usually a bad thing. No matter how you look at it I would play it safe and buy a new HD and back up your data ASAP. If you can't get a HD get some online storage somewhere and save your data. Nothing worse than not being able to get you data back.

Hard drives fail daily it isn't something new, it just happens... I always keep an external drive with my most important files updated weekly.
  • edited September 2007
    that`s bad news but i really appreciate your promptness.hand in pocket time i think!i,obviously can`t return the favour as i`m p.c. stupid but,being a chef,if you have any food related queries don`t hesitate to ask,hah hah.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Am I the only person who thought this thread was about "Saved by the Bell"? :wtf:
    edited September 2007
    niceal wrote:
    that`s bad news but i really appreciate your promptness.hand in pocket time i think!i,obviously can`t return the favour as i`m p.c. stupid but,being a chef,if you have any food related queries don`t hesitate to ask,hah hah.

you can always use your PC to fold :) ( read the bottom of my Sig) :
    Am I the only person who thought this thread was about "Saved by the Bell"? :wtf:

Honestly that was my first thought... I was like what is he doing now?
    edited September 2007
    heh.. you don't want to know.
    edited September 2007
    Saved By The Bell - The Gangster Class?
    edited September 2007
    wikipedia - "Screeched"

that is all :wtf:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    wikipedia - "Screeched"

that is all :wtf:

That video is disturbing.

Also, I think we should exploit our new friend niceal by asking him for healthy cooking choices for mad carnivores like Sledge and myself! :D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    dustin_diamond_broke.jpg

How the mighty have fallen. From kid's TV to dirty sanchezs and shock jock radio.
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, we don't want to give niceal the impression that we are dirty filthy pervs here... :wtf:

Niceal, you could always drop in our fitness clubhouse and maybe contribute a healthy recipe or three :p