Active SB cooling necessary?

edited June 2003 in Hardware
The mobo in question is the ABit NF7-s. I have 2 available small heatsinks right now. One is active, and one is not, while the heatsinks themselves are the same size (only diff is one has a fan). TO give an idea of how small these heatsinks actually are, they are Pentium/486 (short fins).

I understand placing cooling on the SB generally a good idea, especially when OCing is involved (which I have been/will be doing). I would prefer to use the HS without the fan, but if the fan would help, then I could easily deal with it.

So, should I install the active, or non-active sink to the SB?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I thought that usually the SB doesn't need cooling, only the NB? That having been said, I have a small one attached with thermal tape to mine :P
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I say install the passive one for noise concerns, then check it later to see how hot its getting. If its too hot, switch to the active one.

~dodo
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I don't think the sb gets very hot on the nf7-s, same with the nb from what I read, or maybe it was the mosfets' hmmm can't remember. But I would go with the passive one myself. Noise shouldn't be that big of a deal for a little h/s though.