file missing or corrupt <windows root> system32\hal.dll

edited February 2006 in Hardware
my old c drive gets a post error of

i can not access the drive when it's set up as a slave, even on it's own channel in normal or safe mode. the system just clocks.

any ideas? winxp ntfs.

thank. if I can get it to act as a c drive again great. if i could just get in to copy info out and then reformat that's ok too.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    dirtycrow wrote:
    my old c drive gets a post error of

Did you ever solve this problem?

i can not access the drive when it's set up as a slave, even on it's own channel in normal or safe mode. the system just clocks.

any ideas? winxp ntfs.

thank. if I can get it to act as a c drive again great. if i could just get in to copy info out and then reformat that's ok too.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited February 2006
    Hi there,
    I'll start by saying that hardware aint exactly my forte, but I have had a similar experience with a missing or corrupt file. Have you tried downloading the hal.dll file and placing it into your system32 folder....if not give this link a go:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal

Also, did your hard drive previously use FAT32 file system or NTFS?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    the odds of a HAL.dll ( hardware abscraction layer ) working from one machine to another is kinda remote, though possible. the HAL is directly responsable for how the machine co-incides with the hardware. like your mouse, or your keyboard. all that information is passed throught the HAL which kinda sits bewteen the hardware itself and the OS on the screen.

The easiest method to fix this would be a repair installation of XP.