Laptop HDD Problems

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I posted here awhile back about issues with the laptops hdd. Turns out that one was bad. So i replaced it with a toshiba from tiger direct. It worked fine for awhile. For some reason the computer keeps turning itself off (i'm guessing its a heat issue)
But the real problem is for some reason when i start the pc it trys to boot from PXE. As far as i can tell it means its trying to boot from a network. If i restart the computer several times i get lucky and it goes into windows. I used the ultimate boot disk to try and scan the HDD, it had no errors. I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2007
    Your correct that PXE is looking for a network boot device. I've had a similar problem to what your describing happen to me several times. In every case it was the ide controller on the motherboard that eventually died. This problem usually persisted intermittently for several months before finally dying completely.
  • edited September 2007
    So do i have to buy a new laptop? Also any idea's on the random shutoff?
  • edited September 2007
    now on boot it says
    \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.
    then tells me to goto the windows repair screen to fix it. I have no idea how to use windows repair.
    edited September 2007
    If it's the ide controller then the random shut offs would also be a result of that failing - it'd be the same as removing the harddrive from a running computer.

Your corrupt or missing file could also be the result of the failing controller. However what that message is currently telling you is to do a repair install from the windows cd. To do that you boot up with the cd in the drive and start out as if you are doing a fresh install. It will detect your existing install and ask you if you want to repair it. However this generally only works if you have an actual windows XP cd. If your laptop came with recovery disks, then there is a good chance they can't do a recovery install and can only do a restoration. Which will completely wipe it and reinstall it back to the same way it came when it was purchased.

If it's the ide controller then you may be able to send it into an authorized dealer to get if fixed. How much that will cost, I couldn't even guess because they'd have to replace the motherboard.
  • edited September 2007
  • edited September 2007
    Alright i went to reinstall windows, now its telling me that i only have a 7 gig hd instead of a 60 gig. I dont know if the hard disk is bad or the ram or what? I ran a memory scan on it and it seemed fine. And i also ran a hard drive scan and it seemed fine. Is there a motherboard scan or something that can tell me if it is infact the ide controller?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Not that I know of. Regular usage and a hard drive test are the best ways at that.

Is your Laptop still under warranty?
    edited September 2007
    There are no tests that I know of to check for that (I hope some one here can prove me wrong on that though). Generally the only way to figure it out is to double check everything else and if it's all working then it's your mobo.

As for your HDD not scanning correctly. If you have the right equipment you could remove it from your laptop. Put it into an external enclosure and scan it on another system. Bad ram may be the problem for some of your symptoms, like the random crashing. But it wouldn't cause the hdd to read incorrectly.
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks for all of your help. No the laptop isnt under warranty. I bought it off ebay last december. Hopefully its not the mobo. But who knows. I ran a ram scan a month ago or so and it seemed fine. The shut offs were happening before that. And its a brand new hard drive. I guess it is the motherboard. Its a compaq presario 2100. Anyone know of a guide on how to replace the mobo or if theres another one that i can put in its place? Thanks.
    edited September 2007
    As far as mobo replacements go you need to either buy another similar used laptop and swap it, contact HP directly to see if they still stock them or find a laptop repair shop that can handle it. You can't just go to your local computer store and buy one off the shelf.
  • edited September 2007
    darn. Thanks.